public vs private data network

hi all,

what is the difference between public and a private data network? am I correct in assuming that if you use a *public* data network to connect your remote offices with your branch offices, you either use the Internet as the Public DN or frame relay (as the Public DN of a telco) but if you use leased lines or pt to pt links, then is it considered as a *private* data network? (since you're not sharing the links with others) if anybody knows, please enlighten me

thanks!

Reply to
jonnah
Loading thread data ...

Private vs Public refers to the IP addressing scheme. You can use either globally routed IP's (public) or private IP's 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix) 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix) 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix). See RFC 1918 for more details.

formatting link

Reply to
Brian

I might have been misinterpreted in my question. I was asking public and private data networks in terms of wide area implementation of connecting geographically separated locations using telcos and not in terms of ip addressing scheme.

Reply to
jonnah

In article , jonnah wrote: :what is the difference between public and a private data network? am I :correct in assuming that if you use a *public* data network to connect :your remote offices with your branch offices, you either use the :Internet as the Public DN or frame relay (as the Public DN of a telco) :but if you use leased lines or pt to pt links, then is it considered :as a *private* data network? (since you're not sharing the links with :others) if anybody knows, please enlighten me

Pretty much. If a random person around the world can get packets to your security gate then you are on a public data network. If only a closed list of places can get to your security gate, and you can't get out either then you are on a private data network.

In between would be semi-private networks that have clouds of accessible devices and security gateways to public networks. For example, a research network might allow public email in and might allow insiders a wide variety of outward accesses, but the basic security controls might be far away from most of the member systems.

To really be considered a private network in the traditional PSTN sense, there can't be -any- cross-border traffic possible through the network facilities.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

No, your question was clear, and your own explanation was close on -- Walter's (elsewhere) this thread might have amplified on it a bit, but notice that as he introduced "semi-private" (or was it "semi-public" ) that these concept are somewhat dependent on context and point of view.

Reply to
Herb Martin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.