CIT 642-831 Exam

I'm studing for the 642-831 exam has anyone who's sat the exam any tips as to what the exams covers..?? Also what's better for preparing Boston or Transcender..???

Reply to
29killeen
Loading thread data ...

Since being taken over by Kaplan my opinion of the Transcender exams is slipping, this isn't helped by my email to them being unanswered for over a week so far, I'll give them a bit more time but I'm sure I can find time for a rant here soon. In terms of quality though they probably are about the best around however the new exams would appear to be exactly the same as those from Kaplan's other brand:

formatting link
for some reason they seem to think it's acceptable to charge a $20-40 premium for the ones marketed under the Transcender brand, I suspect me challenging them on this point is one of the main reasons my email to them has been ignored so far.

Reply to
Paul Womar

I took the exam twice and failed. It has been a real disappointment since I really did not have a tremendous amount of problems with the Switching and Remote Access tests. Know what layer all devices operate at, know the 3 layer Cisco troubleshooting model, know what Cisco approved troubleshooting methods at each layer of the OSI model, know how TCP/IP model maps to OSI model, know how to baseline. Know network configuration table, network topology diagrams, and end system version of them as well as what maps to each layer of the OSI model (some things are weird like in a network configuration table Device name & model are classified is L2? Know the 5-step process for creating network documentation. Know the end system commands used to gather usefull information about network configs for Windows 98/95, NT/2K/XP, and Unix/OS X.

I think I was studyed up enough I just was not prepared for all of the SIMS on the test. I bought Ciscopress's CCNP: Practical Studies CIT by Donna Harrington ISBN:1-58720-057-0 This was an excellent book (but a bit dated with a chapter on IPX) that is basically an 800 page lab book. My skills have gone up a notch after going through that book and doing the labs. THANKS DONNA!

I will be taking the test in 11 days.

Greg

29killeen wrote:

preparing

Reply to
gcave

Greg,

Could you please advise me what the simulators covered and what type of questions / problems they were.

Reply to
29killeen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.