windows update security patches slowing down broadband acess

Which updates? Do you have a router? Have you used the XP connection limit fixes? For reference, I use P2P apps, keep my WinXP installs completely up to date, reload the XP connection limit fixes after each update, and have absolutely no download or upload rate problems.

Reply to
Quaoar
Loading thread data ...

I had left my windows 2k and xp mahines on automatic update and have noticed within the last 2 months, my bandwidth dropped about a megabit. I removed the security patches and it went back up to 4mbits. has this happened to anyone else?

Reply to
eöl

yes, I have a router.could you please explain to me about xp connection limit fixes or point me to an appropriate website? thanks.

Reply to
eöl

XP SP2 limits the number of concurrent outbound network connections. This imposes a serious limitation for P2P applications. The connection limit fix restores the limit to 100 connections. You can Google for "xp connection limit fix".

One should set up Windows Update for notification only. Automatic download has the ability to install hardware driver updates, etc., that might not be appropriate for the specific computer.

Q Q
Reply to
Quaoar

According to this link at Speedguide.net,

formatting link
limits the number of new outbound TCP connection attempts to 10 per second, rather than unlimited like it was up through SP1. Note that this is not the same as the number of concurrent outbound network connections, as stated above.

So with nitpicky mode on, this change does NOT limit the number of concurrent outbound network connections. It only limits the number of NEW CONNECTION ATTEMPTS (to 10 per second, which probably affects the tiniest fraction of XP SP2 users, if any at all, even counting P2P users). Oh, and the previous limit wasn't 100, it was unlimited, unless Speedguide has it wrong. :)

Agreed, that's how mine is set, too.

Reply to
Bill M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.