IPTV and vdsl

formatting link
)

I have been following IPTV and I was a little disappointed to learn that AT&T's U-verse internet (VDSL: next gen dsl) will only have a max speed of

6mb's.

One reason is that since VDSL is next generation dsl it still relies upon copper twisted pair telco technolgy. The other reason is that HDTV utilizes

1.5gb of bandwidth. The strange thing is that VDSL is supposed to have a bandwidth of 20gb's. The more likely scenario is that the current VDSL chips are first generation. Will be interesting to see what happens in any case.
Reply to
randall.shimizu
Loading thread data ...

I don't believe the average person's internet needs would exceed 6M. Is the 6M for internet or for internet/video/voice? I thought it was just for the internet. On a good day you'll avg about 500 kb/s or about 4M when you download a file on the internet. The WEB pages won't appear any faster with a higher speed. The internet is not capable of effieciently utilizing bandwidth. I suspect the video BW portion, which will be much more than 6M will make better use of BW since it will be streaming from a provider that will have control over quality of service.

Thanks K>

formatting link
)

Reply to
kingpen

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 8/7/2006 9:21 PM:

Randall,

You couldnt be more wrong on everything you said. HDTV needs 1.5gb of bandwidth? VDSL is supposed to support 20Gbs of bandwidth?

Wow... The fact you state it with such authority is amazing.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

uncompressed HDTV with 1080i format uses around 1.5 Gbps of bandwidth. This has already come up at work :)

However, normally uncompressed 1080i is only for studio work - it gets squeezed down a lot for delivery over a TV broadcast channel, cable or even DVD, since the transmission medium cannot handle the raw data rate. Eventual data rate to air is in Mbps, not Gbps.

VDSL is supposed to support 20Gbs of bandwidth?

50 Mbps or so AFAIR. But there is a tradeoff between data rate and distance.

FWIW ADSL 2+ is being rolled out here (UK) Although this is supposedly good for 15 or 20 Mbps, BT has chosen to run rate adapted, but to limit their DSLAMs to run at 8 Mbps max That way they have a standard official rate they can actually get to a reasonable percent of customers.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.