WRT54G Linksys default antennas replace with 7 dbi antennas

Does replacing the 2 or so dbi antennas with 7 dbi antennas do anything? Can I get more range?

What affect do bigger antennas on the same power transmitter do?

Will it go farther in my house and just have more throughput, given the same distances?

Thanks.

Bryce.

Reply to
Bryce
Loading thread data ...

Twice as much power is 3 dB, 4 times as much power is 6 dB. You aren't getting quite 4 times as much power by using a 7 dBi antenna in place of a 2 dBi antenna.

They will improve performance. One big advantage of investing in antennas is that it improves the transmit power in any given direction, and it also improves the receive sensitivity. (Unlike raising the power of the transmitter, which has to be done at both ends of a link to be effective, a better antenna on only one end of a link benefits both transmit and receive).

Depends. If your AP and Client are sitting 20 feet from each other, with nothing between them, and you have a received signal of -40 dBm, and improvement of 5 dB to -35 dBm will have *no* effect. In either case the link will be able to operate at its maximum bitrate.

But if your Client is two rooms away, and the signal is -83 dBm because it either doesn't go through the walls well or is actually bouncing of the metal building across the road... you won't be getting the maximum bit rate, and increasing the received signal level to -78 dBm will probably cause a higher bit rate, and will certainly result in fewer dropouts and slowdowns when things change (someone walks through your path, for example). And ultimately, it extends the distance at which you can no longer get any kind of a reliable connection.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Floyd:

What files do I need to update my WRT54G? I want to increase the transmit power somehow. Someone told me about Sveasoft. I think I'd still be below the point-to-point power threshhold that we need to stay below, even with these 7dbi antennas.

I can't quite figure out on that Sveasoft site which firmware to download to flash the router with. It says it's good for Ver. 1 and Ver. 2, but I don't see any reference to anything being good for v3.03.1. on the WRT54G.

Thanks for any info.

Bryce.

Reply to
Bryce

many of the third party firmwares offer power control. perhaps the 'cleanest' is hyperwrt, which basically adds a few feautres and fixes a few things. it is very close to the original linksys firmware.

that refers to the hardware revision, not the currently installed firmware. some custom firmwares do not yet support v2.2 and 3.0 hardware (yet).

also check:

Reply to
nospam

Sveasoft Alchemy was released before there was time to test WRT54G v3.0 hardware. v3.0 hardware is basically the same as v2.2 anyway. There have also been reports on DSLReports.com and wrt54g.com that Alchemy does work on the V3.0 hardware.

See photos at:

formatting link
states: "The v3.0 has no other differences from the V2.0 and V2.2 other than the switch that you can see to the bottom left side of the motherboard."

Also, don't mix the version numbers of the WRT54G and WRT54GS. From the Alchemy release: "This version supports WRT54G V1.0, V1.1, V2.0, V2.2 and WRT54GS V1.0, V1.1 routers only."

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.