Wimax Wireless Internet - Why America Is Wimax Challenged

Lets raise wimax awareness... if more consumers know about wimax.. the greater the chance we'll pressure manufactures to build it... so that we can come...

home page of wimax coverage:

formatting link
wimax coverage maps
formatting link
wimax hardware mfg comparison
formatting link

10 reasons America is WIMAX Challenged
formatting link
Reply to
robert evdo hsdpa kim
Loading thread data ...

You forgot the most important reason. No data-only wireless vendor has ever made money (except perhaps for the paging services in their best years). Sprint is about to burn $3 billion setting up WiMax. Based on a very optimistic estimated uptake of 1 million users, that's $3,000 cost per user, not including operating expenses. They usually look for a 2 year max payback period, so that's at best $1,500/year per user plus subsidized hardware to break even. I don't think so.

Some light reading.

"Will Data-Only Networks Ever Make Money?"

formatting link
"Sprint Gives WiMAX a Real Boost"
formatting link
The reason Wi-Max is prevalent in some foreign countries is because of government subsidies.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:33:37 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

I think uptake might well be at least an order of magnitude (10x) higher. The reason: VoIP over WiMAX. Think dirt cheap "killer app." ;) And the usual amortization period for something like this is at least double that, bringing the amortized cost down to less then $100 per year. Then there's the additional revenue from things like IPTV. All in all I personally think Sprint Nextel has made a very good bet.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.