WiFi network bandwidth limit

Hi,

Our house uses a Wifi Belkin cable router with up to 7 users (54G cards)on a 2Mb line.

The problem is as soon as 1 person decides to download, others usually lose their bandwidth to the point that no traffic goes through (except person downloading).

The router firmware doesn't appear to be able to handle bandwidth limits (no option on interface) so am stuck trying to balance the share of bandwidth between users, in order to garantee that ALL can be online at the same time.

Does anyone know of a solution excluding an internet gateway server? Maybe somes soft client that can be installed on the culprit machines (or inconsiderate users!)? any ideas?

Thanks,

Oli

Reply to
nightfrog
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

I suspect the real problem is uploading (e.g., when file sharing). On pure download, all active clients will get roughly equal priority. But if the uplink gets saturated, then downlink goes to hell for everyone. If this is the case, then a good bet would be a router that can throttle uplink by client.

Reply to
John Navas

I've been using DummyNet for bandwidth management (and traffic imparement simulation).

formatting link
runs from a floppy disk or CF card on any PC with two ethernet cards. Not exactly a gateway server but possibly useable. It would probably be easier to buy a Linksys WRT54G which includes QoS features.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Oli,

I had the same when playing a ping / lag sensative internet 'shoot-em-up' type game and my daughter fired up MSN / web cam ;-(

I resolved it by installing Netlimiter on her PC and throttling Messenger to a reasonable bandwith. Ok her cam isn't as fast as it could be (but it works) and she can still use her PC for more 'serious' work (homework) like browsing the web and checking her mail at a shared speed (and I don't get killed so quickly) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. She is 'happy' with this solution as the alternative was no cam at all ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Thanks guys,

i doubt my housemates would be happy with me installing a client o their pc so it's gonna have to be a new router.

Thank you all for your advice!.

Oli

Reply to
nightfrog

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.