Wi-Fi's 'N' to Get Industry Group Nod

Loading thread data ...

"Dotty" hath wroth:

That's great. The same vendors that have blocked approval of the proposed 802.11n standard are now allegedly looking for certification by some unknown consensus. Of course, Wi-Fi.org loves it because they make money on certifications. They also get paid twice. Once for Pre-N and again when the IEEE finally approves something.

Looks like 802.11n is scheduled for final working group approval in Jan 2008. Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn..... |

formatting link
trial by combat or a pistol duel might produce a suitable winner in a shorter time period?

Time to bring back the Interop bake-off's for 802.11n compatibility issues?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'm noticing the Dell laptops have the option of having Wireless - N beta. When the real specs come out will these beta cards be able to be flashed to make them compatible with the new standard.

Reply to
Craig

| That's great. The same vendors that have blocked approval of the | proposed 802.11n standard are now allegedly looking for certification

This continues to show why standards should be developed by individuals with no industry ties. Wouldn't IEEE be able to arrange that?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| I'm noticing the Dell laptops have the option of having Wireless - N | beta. When the real specs come out will these beta cards be able to be | flashed to make them compatible with the new standard.

Let us know what Dell says.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Netgear has something on this subject on there web page.

They say there not sure as they don't know what will be changed.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

You mean academics? I suspect you've never sat in on a standards committee mailing list or meeting. I did long long ago and consider it the 2nd worst disappointments in my technical career. (The worst was playing technical editor for a Unix book).

The corporate representatives are anxious to move things along. They want product they can ship immediately or sooner. The academics are anxious to generate research projects. Wanna guess which one will deliver quicker?

Other candidates without industry ties are government officials and representatives of environmental and litigatory groups. The governments are only concerned that everything that's passed can be regulated, taxes, controlled, or killed. The attorneys agendas are obvious and require no explanation.

Did I miss any individuals without industry ties?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is that a question or a statement?

To the best of my limited knowledge, from information leaked from dubious sources, and using the alpha version of my crysal ball, it's highly likely that anything you buy today will NOT be compatible with anything sold in the future by Dell. The inability to buy refilled or replacement toner and ink cartridges for Dell printers from anyone other than Dell, should give you a clue as to their current mindset. It would be nice if the Pre-N stuff was compatible with the Jan 2008 version, and I suspect Dell might make the effort to protect their customers investment, but chances are very high that it's not going to happen.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 23:45:49 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Phil's hand is raised. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.