Recommendation of outdoor antennas

HI,

We are connecting two buildings about 200 feet apart. We will be using 2.4 Ghz. Does anyone have any suggestions about the type of antennas to use? Low cost is important, but not if the solution does not work well.

Thanks,

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Kurata
Loading thread data ...
200 feet is not much. If you want the antennas to only radiate towards each building then use a directional type patch antenna with about a 45 to 60 degree beam more or less. If you dont mind if the signal radiates in all directions then you can go with an omnidirectional. Its not going to take much gain for 200 foot, you could probably do ok with 2 stock Access Points. You need to have a clear Line of site for best signal.

Reply to
Airhead

I just installed a pair of these flat panel patch antennas in a similar environment (100 ft apart for ours)which I am very happy with:

formatting link

Reply to
John .

At 200ft, almost any type of directional antenna will work. This sounds like a commercial adventure, so I won't recommend any do it thyself antennas. If you are impoverished, methinks an 8dBi panel (patch) antenna is sufficient. I like Maxrad 9 ($25), 13 ($35), or

18dBi ($60) antennas because of the ease of mounting (swivel ball with a hose clamp to a vertical pipe). If you're into 802.11g type performance, your main concern will be to insure that you have a very strong signal, with little interference from other co-channel users located to the sides of the antenna pattern. If this is a tall building, that has the potential to see other co-channel users, I would make some effort to block the signal from other directions with something absorbant (not reflective). Therefore, I would NOT suggest you use an omni or yagi, but instead use a panel (patch) or dish antenna. I can run a fade margin calculation to determine the minimum required gain, but I need to know what you're working with, how long the coax run, type of coax, expected speed, etc.
formatting link
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I can't resist.

Build your own biquad panel:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
This article shows the WRONG way to build a biquad. I threw it in because I've seen too many people build it this way and wonder why it doesn't work.
formatting link
The other antennas on this page appear to be correct.

Or, build your own panel (patch) antenna:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
See section on "2.4 Ghz home made" antennas for additional links:
formatting link
Ah, now I feel better...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.