Problems streaming music over WLAN (802.11b)

Hello everyone,

my desktop PC and my notebook are connected via a 802.11b WLAN (peer to peer or "ad hoc" mode). Everything works fine. However, when I want to listen to MP3s (which are located on my desktop's HD) on my notebook, I'm getting problems.

It crackles and there are short breaks, it sounds like the bandwidth isn't sufficient to stream the MP3s seamlessly. However, I think the bandwidth should be enough with 802.11b, good signal strength and the two machines being very close to each other - shouldn't it?

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Holger

Reply to
Holger Mertens
Loading thread data ...

~ Hello everyone, ~ ~ my desktop PC and my notebook are connected via a 802.11b WLAN (peer ~ to peer or "ad hoc" mode). Everything works fine. However, when I want ~ to listen to MP3s (which are located on my desktop's HD) on my ~ notebook, I'm getting problems. ~ ~ It crackles and there are short breaks, it sounds like the bandwidth ~ isn't sufficient to stream the MP3s seamlessly. However, I think the ~ bandwidth should be enough with 802.11b, good signal strength and the ~ two machines being very close to each other - shouldn't it? ~ ~ Any ideas? ~ ~ Kind regards ~ ~ Holger

Yeah, it should work ... MP3s will range in bandwidth up to

320kbps which is certainly capable of being carried via "11Mbps" 802.11b which can deliver a throughput of up to 5.5Mbps or so.

I use iTunes to stream MP3s and AACs of typically around

200Kbps from my iMac to an XP laptop over 802.11b via a Linksys 11b router, and it works fine.

Any number of things though could be causing the problem you're describing ... interference, software getting preempted, disk drive sluggishness, etc. You might try using iTunes (it's free) and see if it works better for you.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.