Outside dns not changin

about 3 months ago, i threw a 500 gb drive on an old laptop and have been letting utorrent run and run and run... also have something called logmein free running on a few nodes on the network, 24/7... the external access ip address has never changed (even though the lease time has expired any times)... any ideas if those (or something else) may be why my external ip addy has stayed the same? (summers coming, would be nice to travel and reliably connect back to my home ip addy from other computers, i figger if i don't find out why it's not changing, it will as soon as i leave the house)

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

I know it sounds obvious, but your WAN IP has stayed the same because your ISP has not caused it to change. At your end, you can cause your IP to change more often, but not less often, than your ISP wants.

In addition, even if it does change, LogMeIn will always allow you to log in regardless of whether the WAN IP changes or not.

Reply to
Char Jackson

what kind of service & provider ? why would you expect the external IP to change ?

at some point, your connection might timeout and that would force a re-connect & reassign of external IP, BUT if you have enough ongoing activity for the connection to not drop/timeout, then the IP would be the same since there has not been a reassignment or IP address request from your modem/router.

For me - my Tivo talks to the outside world every 15 mins, and therefore tends to keep the same external IP address active.

Heck - a PingPlotter monitor to some external IP would keep it going for a long time too..

Reply to
ps56k

Here, I started with HOME then COX HS Internet took over, and have never looked, changed whatever default/auto IP and Gateway for over a decade.

IOW, I just hook the router (Buffalo is my 3rd router) to network card and that it. Same with the newer systems (I build a newer system every around 2 years) I just hook the cable to the built-in network connector (on earlier motherboards they didn't have network connector so I had to use network card), and I never have to set the IP and Gateway either.

Reply to
Joel

"Peter Pan" wrote in news:dqOdnRWugZNQqy3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Why not sign up for a cjb.net account (or some other dynamic IP updater) ?

I've had one for years on end, have an automatic updater program running on one of the PCs in the house that automatically senses the global IP and the updates the cjb.net redirector if necessary.

Let's see....I moved into the house in 2001, and have never manually updated anything since then, and have access to my home via my cjb.net URL from around the world.

Reply to
DanS

actually, i use dyndns (probably similar to cjb, cept you have to log in once a month to keep your account active) so i can access my home network from outside by name instead of number as i travel... but also have 3 tivos on the thing too, maybe thats holding it... I forgot, i sometimes program the tivo when away, and then watch the stuff when away... (router lets me assign a specifc ip:port local/network addy based on the puters mac addy i run the file server on (music too, handy at 3 am in a hotel room)

at any rate, not usually a problem in the winter, (been the same for months) but the cable and/or electric has gone out every summer so far, and i have no doubt that by murphys law, something will happen/die as soon as i walk out the door i should probably mention that i also have a backup way to access another isp (cable modem, comcast, dialup/tethered cell earthlink), and that (switching isp's if the cable fails) screws up my external ip addy

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.