One question the iPhone 4S reviews all seem to ignore (size of the GSM SIM card!)

I've looked at a dozen iPhone 4S reviews, none of which commented on the SIZE of the GSM SIM card!

When I travel to a foreign country, I find it useful to purchase a local SIM card (sometimes with the help of a foreign national) containing about an hour of local talk time, which I throw away upon leaving that country.

This works fine for an unlocked GSM iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS which all have a 'normal sized' GSM SIM card slot; but it fails on an iPhone 4 due to the half-sized SIM card used (specifically to foil you on that endeavor).

May I ask ...

Since the new iPhone 4S is billed as a "world phone", and since it contains "support for both CDMA and GSM networks", may I ask if they use the standard 'regular-sized' GSM SIM card, or if they still use the AT&T-only half-sized GSM SIM card?

Reply to
SF Man
Loading thread data ...

FYI, according to my research... Regular size SIM cards can be physically trimmed to fit in the iPhone 4. You might be able to find a little device that does the trimming for you.

Reply to
John Doe

I had no idea!

Googling for "how to trim a SIM card", I find there is an iPhone 4G "SIM card cut" procedure that turns a standard Mini SIM card into a Micro SIM card!

formatting link

Amazingly, when I switched to T-Mobile and bought an unlocked iPhone 3GS, nobody told me that I could have bought the iPhone 4!

I wonder, once trimmed from a mini SIM to a micro SIM, if the trimmed SIM card can fit BACK into a normal mini sim slot?

Reply to
SF Man

I don't touch the Fruity Stuff, but I heard it described as a microsim. You should be able to find a video of the "event."

While I detest apple crap, I really don't have an issue with the microsim. Over the years, simcards have been getting smaller. My first GMS phone had a simcard nearly as big as a credit card.

So whatever. They will make smaller cards. You can probably get them at phone kiosks in the states if you really want to make sure you are set up before you leave the country.

What you really need to be asking is why the hell doesn't Apple use UMA. Or why the hell don't they cover the T-Mob frequencies. Seriously, what a bunch of wankers at Apple.

Personally, the 4S is a stupid phone. It still has the glass back that cracks. I'd skip that piece of junk and wait for the iphone5 in the metal case. I can't say the metal case will help it work as a phone, but sure as hell that back won't crack anymore. There are about 4 class action lawsuits against Apple for that junky design. Mostly woman have those cracked iphone4's, probably due to cramming them in their purse. To keep an iphone4 from not cracking, you need a freakin' otterbox, which takes a slim phone and makes it chunky. Dumb.

The damn chipset craps out at 14mbps. Hell, blackberry can do that. Android has data rates up to 42Mbps onT-Mob.

The iphone4s is a loser. I can't see Apple waiting a whole year for the iphone5. I bet it will be out in less that 6 months. The iphone4s is simply not competitive. AT&T is rolling out LTE, and that isn't even in the works for the iphone4s. I think most fanbois won't jump ship and go Android, but not a lot of people will consider the 4S a trade up. They will wait for the 5.

Reply to
miso

Whatta troll.

Reply to
John Doe

Actually I post here all the time. You're the troll.

Pretty moronic to run an iphone on T-Mob. You only get EDGE. I guess nobody told you that either.

Check around with the bloggers. I'm not the only one who thinks the iphone4s is a crappy product at this time.

Reply to
miso

This site confirms both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S contain a Micro SIM card slot.

formatting link
Now that I know I can simply scissor trim the Mini SIM to a Micro SIM, I'm hoping that the iPhone 4 prices will drop precipitously on Craigslist when the iPhone 4 (and again with the iPhone 5) come out ... so that's when I'll get my kid another iPhone.

For me, I dropped AT&T because they force you to have a data plan even if you never wanted it (even with a data block in place); so I went to T-Mobile.

For my kid, using the iPhone on T-Mobile is just fine since his only data is WiFi (T-Mobile, in contrast to AT&T, allows you to have an iPhone phone without a data plan).

My kid doesn't need cellular data; he just wants the keyboard of the iPhone and the gaming apps.

Unfortunately, I can't talk him into an Android phone in the least!

Reply to
SF Man

It's called scissors. At least that worked for me and my wife.

Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo Sandini

miso wrote in news:j6o525$9ej$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Then you should be ashamed, troll.

Reply to
John Doe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.