noob setup

Ok so just to get it out of the way. I know what war driving is and now that I have my sweet laptop I want to get started. But before I do I have a few things I need to address and get figured out. Incase it is need to know info, my laptop is an HP dv9210us w/Vista. Yes it does have built in wireless but I also hooked up with a Hawking Technologies wireless USB w/removable antenna.

1) I have a Garmin GPS deal (the blue model) I got it a few years ago. What software will I need to map and record all of the APs?

2) Because I have a Hawking Technologies wireless USB w/removable antenna I have been looking at their 9dBi omni hi-gain antenna. I dont mind forking out $94 for it either. But I have looked at building one of my own to. Is it possible to build a portable omni that also gets awsome range? Or what about those little rubber duck antennas how good are those as far as range? Here is a link to the Hawking Technologies antenna I was looking at. 'Hawking Technologies'

formatting link

3) is there anything else I am missing that im forgetting?

Thank you all for the help and keep up the great work

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
crazy8
Loading thread data ...

crazy8 hath wroth:

Make sure you have disabled the internal wireless when using the external. They will interfere with each other.

Does it have a serial number label? If so, can you disclose the model number so I don't have to crawl all over the Garmin web site looking for blue colored GPS units?

Sniffing and mapping are done seperately. You run around collecting SSID's and lat-long locations. The data is saved to a database file. You then feed the database to a conversion program, that is fed to a choice of mapping programs. There are also online mapping services, where you feed you data to the web server and it displays it for you.

Sniffers:

formatting link
(Linux)
formatting link
(list)

Converters:

formatting link
Mapping:
formatting link
(Google wi-fi maps)
formatting link
(may be dead)

There are plenty of others, but these are the ones I found in my bookmarks pile.

Sure, but you do NOT want monster gain for war driving. The problem is that your GPS doesn't tell you where the access point is located. It tells you where *YOU* are located. If you dramatically increase the sensitivity of your sniffer with a monster antenna, the size of the probability circle in which the access point is located also increases. You'll see more access points, but you won't have a clue where they're located even with GPS.

If you're looking for a specific access point, a directional antenna such as a dish will work better. You'll get a position line showing that the target access point is somewhere on that line. Take a few more bearings, and the lines will cross somewhere. Where they cross, is your target access point. There's software to do this, but I can't seem to find any. Bug me later if you want me to dig it out.

They'll all work. Perhaps my method will give you an idea. I didn't like the omni antenna approach because it just didn't find enough access points. So, I installed a panel antenna (about 8dBi gain) on the *SIDE* of my truck, and would drive around collecting data. In the morning, I would get the right hand side of the streets. Going back the same route in the evening, I would get the other side of the street.

1. What you're trying to accomplish.
  2. What form do you want to collect the data?
  3. What do you want the final output to look like?

Work? That's a bad word.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.