NEWS: T-Mobile First To Snag BlackBerry Curve 9300 3G

Research In Motion formally introduced the BlackBerry Curve 9300 today, the first GSM-based Curve to offer 3G. It is also "BlackBerry 6-ready."

MORE:

COMMENT: Do or perhaps die for RIM

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Would be even more attractive, for me, if, instead of offering only "800/850/1900/2100MHz for AT&T and 900/1700/2100MHz for T-Mobile", there were a true world-band 800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100 version.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

I have a Tour 9700 and really don't see the advantage of this new phone. Supposedly the 9700 will run OS6.

I have to agree that compatibility on 3G with AT&T would be nice.

Note that T-Mobile is upgrading their 3G to eventually 21mbps, but you need the compatible chips in your phone. For instance, the BB 9700 Tour can only do 3Mbps. My understanding (but I haven't verified this) is some of the Android phones have chips capable of 7Mbps.

The iphone 4 has the slow chips (3 MBPS). It's really hard to believe Apple screwed up this project as badly as they did. Granted none of the iphone work well as a phone (poor microphone, speaker, and of course radio), but the iphone 4 is such a step backwards.

I noticed the BB slider has that same slanted keyboard as the 9700. The older keyboard (8320 for instance) was better. Not quite as slanted, making thumb typing easier.

In any event, this new BB isn't do or die for RIM. Rather OS6 is do or die.

Reply to
miso

Nokia N8.

Reply to
Mike S.

Severely hobbled with Symbian^3 unfortunately.

But there's already a Chinese clone (CJ-3) running Android (2.1):

Reply to
John Navas

But no specs on RF bands used ... much less any indication of 3-band 3G. Most Chinese clones don't have any 3G bands at all.

Reply to
Mike S.

Typically such clones are physical/style clones only, and lack radio bands or even 3G.

The attraction of the N8 for most is the 5-band UMTS radio, which is, so far, unique to any phone, AFAIK.

Reply to
Todd Allcock

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.