NEWS: Samsung snaps back at Jobs over iPhone, but gently

Samsung Electronics, the world?s No. 2 maker of mobile phones, finally reacted to Apple?s claims on Friday that its Omnia II phone has reception problems similar to the iPhone 4?s.

But Samsung may be pulling its punches because it?s also a crucial supplier of Apple parts, including for iPhones.

According to media reports, Samsung?s U.S. branch released a statement Monday (U.S. time) saying that ?based on years of experience of designing high-quality phones, Samsung mobile phones employ an internal antenna design technology that optimizes reception quality for any type of handgrip use.?

The company added that ?it hasn?t received significant customer feedback on any signal reduction issue for the Omnia II.? Some major mobile phone makers blasted Apple following a press conference last week at which CEO Steve Jobs defended the iPhone 4?s antenna and reception problems by saying all smartphone manufacturers experience similar difficulties.

MORE:

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Companies not receptive to Jobs' jabs

All smart phones aren't prone to iPhone 4's reception problems, Motorola and others say

The biggest smart phone makers ? Motorola, Research in Motion, HTC, Nokia and Samsung ? are crying foul over assertions by Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs that their devices also have antenna issues.

On Friday, Jobs said the rival phones have similar problems that have beset its iPhone 4. In a video demonstration, Jobs detailed how the competitors' phones also were prone to reception problems when held a certain way.

"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable," the BlackBerry maker said in a statement. "Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation."

On Sunday, Sanjay Jha, co-CEO of Schaumburg-based Motorola, said tests by his company revealed that when touching the sensitive spot on the iPhone 4's edge, the signal weakens far more than what occurs with other smart phones.

Ken Dulaney, an analyst with IT research company Gartner Inc., said it's understandable that Apple competitors would be upset and not want to be dragged into the controversy. Complaints would have surfaced within the first weeks of shipment if issues similar to the iPhone 4's were found in other companies' devices, he said. "We didn't hear that."

RIM said in the statement that it avoided antenna designs found in the iPhone 4 in its own products and pointed out that none of its BlackBerrys need a case to assure optimal reception.

MORE:

Reply to
John Navas

not quite any.

neither did apple. only 0.55% of calls to applecare were about the antenna.

Reply to
nospam

truth hurts

or it's exactly correct, but the videos of crappy performance have been pulled, possibly at the request of rim

Unfortunately, BlackBerry users may have to use a case with the new device, but since the videos are no longer available, you won¹t be able to see it in action.

Reply to
nospam

This is the 615th boring post in a long line of boring posts and I couldn't care less who has the worst phone on the market. Several of the places I go to work are not in 3g covered areas, where I live is not in a 3g area, I have no need of a smartphone as it would be totally unsuitable for work, the same applies to a netbook. I have 2 mobile phones, different area coverage, for that strange thing called "VOICE" and text and can quite easily manage with that. If people wish to continue this boring thread can they start a new newsgroup and migrate there.

Reply to
Bob

or you could not read what you consider to be boring.

Reply to
nospam

Probably makes mores sense for you to unsubscribe and start a new dumbphone newsgroup since you're so uninterested in what constitutes news here.

Reply to
John Navas

You are probably correct, for once in your life, as I have not the slightest interest in US cellular networks and I am finding alt.internet.wireless has almost become a shadow of what it once was and probably needs to be laid to rest.

Reply to
Bob

Surprisingly I can read.

Reply to
Bob

So, clever l'il dude, learn to use the filters that your newsreader provides for y'all.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Well, it certainly is NOT what you dribble out everyday. That is not news, it's prejudged jealousy, simply put, NavASS, you moron!

Reply to
George Kerby

NavASS is nothing more than a cross-posting windbag of dog farts.

Reply to
George Kerby

Usenet is dying of poor signal to noise ratio, just like CB radio.

Reply to
John Navas

That would imply that all those that have involved themselves in the meaningless tit for tat in these threads never had anything useful or constructive to say. I just happen to find it unfortunate that it all gets dragged into alt.internet.wireless. Perhaps I am just getting to old and should move on to more interesting hobbies. So adieu to alt.internet.wireless

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.