NEWS: iPad pitch to the Wall Street Journal laid bare

Mmm hmm. Just like our MacBook Pro with Photoshop.

Reply to
Warren Oates
Loading thread data ...

IIRC, they've been "reportedly doing just that" for well over a year.

Only if you make them tough. There's no good reason not to support both flash and HTML5 now, then wean yourself off of one in favor of the other later. All the "buggy" and "battery eating" problems can and should be end-user decisions. If I'm sitting in my car with a cigarette lighter cord powering the device, or in an airport plugged into AC, "battery life" is no longer an issue. If the phone is at 20% battery life and external power is no where to be found, I guess I won't be using flash, (or WiFi, or heavy data sessions, or anything else that will squander my battery power.)

When Apple stopped including 3.5" floppies, which was very forward thinking, how did Mac users benefit, other than having the bragging rights of being first to ditch old tech? 3.5 internal drives cost under $10 wholesale at the time, and I personally still had a box of 3.5" disks on my computer table. The transition to a floppyless world wasn't tough for me at all- my PCs had one until AFTER they were obsolete, rather than before! Someday, decades from now, when we control our PCs by sheer power of thought alone, we won't need keyboards or mice, either. Are you ready to ditch yours today in anticipation? ;)

Reply to
Todd Allcock

good apps take time. or maybe they're just slow. :) i think the real question is how they want to market it.

if you support both, there's very little reason for providers to bother having two formats. it only prolongs (or avoids) the transition.

the real push for html5 is the fact that the iphone doesn't support flash.

those same end users will then bitch that they get crappy battery life or it keeps crashing.

the ipad is halfway there - no mouse or keyboard. as for thought control, perhaps someone will make a dock accessory for that. :)

Reply to
nospam

I agree. Hulu has been blocking certain platforms (mobiles, internet-connected gaming systems) based on the device's User Agent (easy enough to circumvent for those who really want to.) My poison-pen email to Hulu about that got a form-letter reply about how the content providers consider those platforms a separate medium than the computer and hadn't finalized distribution plans (read: decided whether/how much to charge for access!)

I suspect we'll eventually see a for-pay commercial-free sales model for "Hulu Mobile" if/when it ever sees the light of day. The pertinent question will be whether the iPad (an ideal platform for Hulu and its ilk) is defined by Hulu as a "mobile" or a "computer." Of course, the addition of Flash and an ability for end-users to edit the iPad's UA would make that point moot! ;)

"Be careful what you wish for." Web developers could always just take the easy way out, and redirect iPhones to the mobile version of their sites, rather than rework the rich content around the iP* limitations. The savvy ones would sell it as a page "specially created for iP* users." Wouldn't that make them feel special! That solves the "keynote issue" (end-users seeing a broken "you need Flash" message) and most users wouldn't know what they were missing, (which, with a few, but notable, exceptions, is "not much!") iPhone users are already used to some sites proffering "iPhone" versions anyway.

And Apple gets to say "I told you so" and blame Adobe, just as they do now, instead of end-users blaming the iPhone for not working with Flash sites.

I look forward to it! ;)

Reply to
Todd Allcock

Ironic that, because the BBC only offers un-DRMed content to iPhones, which is successfully exploited by get_iplayer sending an iPhone UA string.

Reply to
alexd

"Todd Allcock" wrote in news:d1Hhn.317$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.iad:

When you connect to Hulu on the N800 Linux tablet, it refuses to let you watch and directs you to adobe.com for a "new version" of Flash that doesn't exist for the tablets. There aren't many Flash-based websites that won't work on the Maemo Linux tablets, but this is one of them.....dammit.

Reply to
Larry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.