Netgear - XE103 vs XET1001 - what's different

I've been using the Netgear XE102 14 Mbps powerline modules for awhile, and they work fine around the house.

I noticed there appears to be TWO different Netgear listings for the 85 Mbps powerline modules...

formatting link
formatting link
In looking at the data sheets, I can't see any difference....

SO - why are there TWO different models ? What is the subtle difference I'm missing ?

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

Well, the web page for the XET1001 specifically mentions HomePlug compatibility and data encryption.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

formatting link
and

formatting link

price? one is white and one is tan? One has a bigger number than the other?....

odd, they even work with each other too

Reply to
Peter Pan

formatting link
and

formatting link

Have you tried finding the FCC ID No's and then checking the info on the FCC website? It may be just a change of chipset. Atheros bought out Intellon so there may be a slight change in chipset design.

Reply to
Bob

formatting link
>

formatting link
>

Not content with using up to 30MHz for powerline working the latest chip from Atheros supports operation up to 75MHz. "The AR7400 Chipset The Atheros Powerline chipset consists of the AR7400 MAC/PHY transceiver and the AR1500 analog front end (AFE) / line driver. The AR7400 chipset is the world?s first solution designed to comply to the IEEE 1901 draft

2.0 standard (now elevated to Sponsor Letter Ballot status), a global, open powerline standard. Just as the IEEE 802.11 standard unified and accelerated the growth of the wireless LAN industry, the IEEE 1901 standard will help to unify and drive the expansion of the powerline networking industry. The 1901 standard utilizes a wider operating frequency band (2 MHz to 50 MHz) than the current HomePlug AV standard (2MHz to 30 MHz), thereby increasing PHY performance in IEEE 1901 operation. The AR7400 chipset will comply with the FFT-OFDM provision of 1901 and incorporates the inter-PHY protocol (IPP) co-existence mechanism.

The chipset also supports operation up to 75 MHz, utilizing all of the practically available spectrum defined in the 100 MHz IEEE 1901 charter, and avoiding the global, high-power FM radio broadcast bands from 76 to

108MHz. This extended frequency range coupled with high density modulation to 4096 QAM, allow AR7400-based powerline products to communicate at more than 500 Mbps PHY rates. In coaxial cable applications, the PHY rates can exceed 600 Mbps, while providing extended coverage due to the AR1500?s lower noise floor and greater output dynamic range. "
Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.