John Navas
Loading thread data ...

And stupidity should be painful.

Reply to
Scott

You should know. :)

Reply to
John Navas

Of course I would- anybody who's read more than a half dozen of your posts would know it.

Reply to
Scott

Wal-Mart is more than three times larger than its nearest competitor, a study of the world's largest and fastest growing retailers has found.

The firm had sales of $287bn in 2004-5, more than its three closest rivals put together, the Deloitte 2006 Global Retailing Powers study showed.

Tesco rose to fifth in its table, behind Carrefour, Home Depot and Metro.

... US firms Kroger, Costco and Target, Dutch firm Ahold and Germany's Aldi complete Deloitte's list of the world's top ten retailers.

[MORE]
Reply to
John Navas

At no time and in no way did I limit the word taxes to "sales taxes".

For someone who puts on such a petulant show when you think someone is putting words in your mouth, you'd do well to avoid the practice in regard to others.

Reply to
kashe

Redced to the lame "nothing in the Constitution" canard. As though it were the sole source of rights in this country.

Reply to
kashe

You'd actually have to have one of the records named in order for anyone to feel jealous about it. As you don't ....

Reply to
kashe

According to Wal-Mart, its 1.2 million U.S. employees earn an average of $9.99 an hour, less than two thirds of Costco's average. Only 42 percent of Wal-Mart's workers have health care coverage through the company, compared with more than 83 percent at Costco.

Source: Seattle Weekly 12/2004

We find that in urban counties, a Wal-Mart store opening led to a 0.5% to 0.8% reduction in average earnings of workers in the general merchandise sector, and a 0.8% to 0.9% reduction in average earnings of workers in the grocery sector. This translated into a combined 1.3% reduction in total earnings (wage bill) of workers in these sectors.

Source: Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley

On average, Costco pays its workers 65% more than Wal-Mart, yet earns more profits per employee.

Source: NY Times 5/3/2005, Business Week 4/12/2004

New academic research shows that when Wal-Mart moves into a community, it actually lowers wages in those communities.

More important, and perhaps more surprising, is that it lowers overall employment levels as well. Despite the fact the new store brings lots of new jobs to the community, the smaller, less efficient competitors employed more people.

Source: WorkIndex.com

Reply to
Philip J. Koenig

If GM opened a car plant in Oakland the same would happen, yet they would all get paid a lot more than what Walmart pays. Your point?

Reply to
Philip J. Koenig

Not at all. You apparently assume I know "nothing at all" about a place simply because I haven't visited there as a tourist. I don't think so.

Reply to
Philip J. Koenig

From a person who has repeatedly ridiculed the concept of "fairness" as it applies to businesses as a non-issue. Brilliant.

Reply to
Philip J. Koenig

Technology marches on, despite whether humanitarian values prevail amongst politicians and other decision-makers. I don't think we can credit entities such as insurance companies for that.

Common knowledge. Pity you're in such denial over it. (ask a good advertising exec about the meaning of "denial".. the industry studies psychology very carefully in order to tailor its advertising message.

Attempted JN contentless blowoff #949 detected.

Evidence of this is everywhere you look -- that is, if you're actually looking.

Reply to
Philip J. Koenig

If you're aware that there is a damage-control campaign, it probably hasn't been effective. :-)

Oh, please.

It's overwhelmingly clear. I'm sorry but I've done more than my fair share of wasting time on linking/pasting citations only to have you dismiss the ones you don't like with some specious complaint. Nothing to see here folks, move along..

On the contrary, the burden of proof for those whose positions differ from your own is, at this point, infinitely great.

(woo woo, maybe I'll make that one a .sig :-)

Reply to
Philip J. Koenig

I'm sorry if in your world one can't have a nuanced position that isn't pro-everything or anti-everything.

Despite the fact that the only text you pasted was a hyperbolic comment from Malcolm without any context whatsoever, the point was whether or not it was in the public interest to advertise products to people who cannot actually buy them without the consent of a licensed medical professional. Feel free to cite studies from objective entities which have proven that such advertising benefits the public health.

There is *nothing* in what I have posted that disagrees with the last sentence above.

Neither did I make any such claim. You sure are coming up with some zingers.

Which once again, proves nothing, especially when you aren't defining what "often" is. There is a reason that society has very specific laws according only highly-trained and experienced people the right to practice medicine and prescribe medications. That you appear to question the entire body of reasoning and history that lies behind such a cornerstone of civilized society is rather laughable in itself.

Reply to
Philip J. Koenig

Interestingly enough, I happened to go to the local Ace Hardware today for some items. Pasted on the storefront window was a flyer from the local community protesting the building of a WalMart here. They are in the process of building a group to oppose the building of a WalMart in this community.

Reply to
GomJabbar
[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

It's hardly surprising that an Ace Hardware store would be trying to mobilize opposition to WalMart. That's just a way to inhibit competition. If people really preferred shopping at Ace, then it would have nothing to fear from WalMart.

Reply to
John Navas

Perhaps, but walmart frequently gets subsidies from communities that existing businesses do not (and in fact have to help pay for in the form of taxes). Also walmart frequently wants to locate in areas not zoned for such development. If the playing field were even, you might have a case John, but it isn't and this thread has been full of examples of Walmart tricking the system in ways small business cannot. Say given it is illegal immigrant day today, wonder how many walmarts will NOT be cleaned tonight?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

The playing field is in fact even. That WalMart can sometimes get better deals than others is simply a case of superior skill, industry and foresight, not anything evil. In other words, this is simply sour grapes on the part of less skillful competitors.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm sorry- your post violates the charter for this newsgroup that you posted just hours ago. Please sat on topic as outlined in the charter.

Reply to
Scott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.