"Mobile users diss premium content"

Where in the above post did I say it was accurate all of the time? You misread what I wrote. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
Loading thread data ...

Some trade magazines are pointing out the possibility that the U.S. government myy buy out the Nextel infrastructure for unified communications.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

That accuracy is so last Millennium...

With you living on the coastline, I would expect that you should be getting at least +/- 2' to 3' accuracy if you held you position for at least a few minutes, which I realize would be impossible on a sailboat.

You get what you pay for, the more expensive units using augmented GPS have better than 3 ft accuracy. The most expensive units like we had at the farm co-op for our tractors was good for 1" to 3" accuracy.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

DecaturTxCowboy hath wroth:

Those are differential GPS corrected units such as AutoFarm/Novariant.

formatting link
claim 4" accuracy with their own local DGPS transmitter. The corrections can be obtained via radio from a variety of sources as well as downloaded from the internet. However, I think we were talking about the commonly available consumer GPS with possibly WAAS corrections. Accuracy is 3 to 10ft with WAAS:
formatting link
formatting link
on unit tested.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, You know...its the "I got a bigger belt buckle thing" :)

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy
[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Kodiak technology (used by Cingular) is actually better.

As it almost certainly will be.

Actually better in the case of Cingular.

Sprint hopes that EV-DO Rev A, expected to be deployed later this year, will measure up to iDEN and Kodiak in PTT. It looks promising in field trials thus but. But if not, Sprint could go with Kodiak as well.

Reply to
John Navas

I've been a regular and frequent user of GPS for years, and I've never had that kind of problem. As I'm usually using and able to compare at least two different good brands (currently Magellan and Garmin), I'm quite confident of

*always* having had and continuing to have that level of accuracy.
Reply to
John Navas

Better than what? Nextel's? If this is your claim, it is the strongest evidence to date of your stupidity.

Reply to
Scott

It will be that is far from a secret.

Rubbish.

Wrong again- that is not the technology they are going with.

Reply to
Scott

Please refrain from posting unsubstantiated and factless claims.

Reply to
Scott

Regarding Nextel's PTT, I recently read some articles in a marine trade magazine called "Professional Mariner" regarding the Katrina hurricane disaster in New Orleans and vicinity. Immediately after the hurricane, Nextel PTT was the only cellular game in town. It was either Nextel's PTT or VHF radio communications. Nothing else worked. Even most of the land lines were down. Companies were ordering Nextels by the dozens so they could communicate with their employees and others. There is a reason why the government would be interested in Nextel's infrastructure.

Reply to
GomJabbar

Hence the stories in the trade magazines about government possibly buying the Nextel side.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

That was probably the mobile to mobile mode, which is unique to iDEN; i.e., not infrastructure (e.g., towers).

The most reliable communications were probably satellite (e.g., Iridium).

Reply to
John Navas

Whatever it was, it certainly wasn't your beloved Kodiak technology- Kodiak failed miserably in the hurricane aftermath.

Whatever.

Reply to
Scott

Yet the Nextel's mobile to mobile feature would not exist without a revenue stream from the towers. Infrastructure could also be said to include the FCC frequency allocation to Nextel.

Yes, I forgot about the satallite phones. They were used some, but they are not in wide circulation, and their usage cost is quite high. Granted, that may not mean so much when you don't have any communication.

One problem mentioned with the sat phones is that the person generally needs to be outdoors to have an adequate signal. An inconvenience at the least, and problematic in foul weather.

Reply to
GomJabbar

Did Kodiak fail, or was it the fact that so few sites had any sort of back-up power, and many of those that did were underwater, or had the wired connection to them broken?

In South Florida, Verizon did very well in terms of service after Wilma, with a call completion rate of 96%, versus 3% for other carriers.

Cingular deployed portable generators in South Florida, where only a small percentage of its sites have permanent back-up power, something that is quite strange in an area that has a lot of power outages due to lightning storms.

The failure of PTT from Cingular and Verizon has a lot more to do with the limited number of handsets, and the fact that most Nextel PTT customers are apparently satisfied with Nextel and see no reason to switch.

Reply to
SMS

My comment was a jab at Novice for his claim that Kodiak is the superior PTT technology available. Of course it failed because towers were not available.

Agreed.

Reply to
Scott

Like all infrastructure-based cellular systems. iDEN mobile to mobile only works over short distances -- it's better than nothing, but only that, and no better than regular walkie-talkie radios.

The "whatever" is that it beats the heck out of iDEN mobile to mobile if you need more than short-range communications.

Reply to
John Navas

What failed is the infrastructure (e.g., cells), not the underlying technology.

Proof? Or just another made up claim? The facts:

Verizon Wireless has restored its digital network in Florida to near full capacity across the state in the wake of Hurricane Wilma, with fewer than three percent of cell sites in the impacted areas still out of service.

That *doesn't* say that 97% Verizon survived the hurricane -- it says that Verizon had "restored" 97% of its network when that article was written, and it says nothing comparative about other carriers. In other words, you either don't understand what you're reading, or you're deliberately misstating the facts.

The "failure" of Verizon PTT is largely due to the high latency of first generation CDMA PTT. That may well change once EV-DO Rev A is rolled out.

It's too early to judge the success or failure of the Kodiak technology as deployed by Cingular, although initial results look promising.

Reply to
John Navas

The consumer cost is now as low as $1/minute. Government cost is less than that. Either way, it's a bargain when you need it. :)

I don't think that's a significant issue. All that's needed is a reasonably clear view of the sky, which can still be a sheltered location.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.