DTIM and powersave on Trendnet TEW-510APB

Trendnet TEW-510APB 802-11a/b/g access point. I want to conserve battery power as much as possible on my laptops by setting the DTIM value. This should be the correct way to do that.

However, I find it difficult to understand how DTIM works om this AP. Here is the relevant info from the Help file:

: Beacon Interval : : The default value is 100. : : Enter a value between 20 and 1000 milliseconds. The Beacon Interval : value indicates the frequency interval of the beacon. A beacon is a : packet broadcast by the Router to synchronize the wireless network. : : DTIM Interval : : The default value is 1. : : This value, between 1 and 16,384 bits per second, indicates the : interval of the Delivery Traffic Indication Message (DTIM). A Data : Beacon Rate field is a countdown field informing clients of the next : window for listening to broadcast and multicast messages. When the : Router has buffered broadcast or multicast messages for associated : clients, it sends the next message with a rate value. Its clients hear : the beacons and awaken to receive the broadcast and multicast : messages.

The Beacon interval is in milliseconds, which is normal. But how should I understand the setting for DTIM, bits per second? This value is usually a Byte, an integer value.

I had DTIM set to 1600, about 10 pct of the maximum, but after the latest software update of my Apple Airport driver (OS X 10.3.9) et al, the Powerbook began to lose the connection.

There is no time-critical stuff like RSS feeds involved.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt
Loading thread data ...

Then if you're using it for polling why not use a cron script to turn off the radio entirely?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The access point is not using PCF as the coordination function.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.