Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S and Netvista on Client Bridge oddities

I finished installing a PCI wireless adapter to connect directly to the AP (WHR-G54S) downstairs, (built-in ethernet could not connect via the upstairs WHR-G54S). Finally got my PCI wireless adapter configuration going (58MB download for IE5.5, thanks to lazy programmers) and the Buffalo ClientManager was able to connect to the AP downstairs.

Imagine my surprise - when unplugging the supposedly unneeded CAT5 cable from the motherboard's built-in ethernet, I lost the internet. Plugging it back in brought the web back. Running Winipcfg shows both the integrated ethernet AND the PCI wireless adapter as having connected to the ISP.

In an infinite universe, infinite things may happen.

Reply to
Louis Ohland
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:54:42 -0800, Louis Ohland wrote in :

Huh?

IE 5.5?!

Only one is actually working, based on network metrics.

Reply to
John Navas

The "authors" of ClientManager3 decided to use the IE engine to make their lives easier. Everyone runs IE... There was one error message that was useful, and it said that "MFC42U.DLL" was missing. That file is a library for Visual C++. Lazy programmers and code re-use. CM3 wanted an IE level greater than 5. Size-wise, IE5.5 was the most svelte I came up with that ran on W98SE.

As to only one network adapter working, at this point, the board ethernet is carrying the goods. But why didn't it before I installed the PCI wireless adapter? And next question - how did the wireless adapter enable the board ethernet to get connected?

Winipcfg shows both adapters connected to the WHR-G54S AP, valid IP, DHCP lease (the built-in had it before the wireless was installed), and both show the Host as being ComputerName.mad.wi.charter.com

Reply to
Louis Ohland

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:56:53 -0800, Louis Ohland wrote in :

I've seen this happen when Windows is misconfigured -- the unused network adapter gets a service started that the used network adapter needs. Usually fixed by reinstalling various pieces.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.