Acer 4050 can no longer detect wireless networks

Suddenly my Acer 4050(XP home) can no longer detect wireless networks. Worked fine until one week ago, but I have tested at various locations with several wireless networks: No networks detected!

Have to mention that the switch for wireless connectivity is turned on!

Any ideas on how to remedy this problem?

Reply to
mogens
Loading thread data ...

What type and model is your wireless card? Are you using XP to manage the wireless card or a proprietary manager? Have you recently changed any settings? Have you tried fitting another card and trying that?

Reply to
Rob

Anyone??

Reply to
mogens

The wireless card is as far as I know build into the motherboard (Centrino), so no separate card is inserted

I'm using XP's build in wireless manager

To the best of my knowledge no. But these days with a daily flood of Virus and operating system security updates I'm not 100% sure about this ;-) One thing that I have tried to look into is any possible missing services (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services). I have not changed the services settings, but when searching for solutions to this problem I noticed a few people where the "Wireless Zero Configuration" for some reason was not started. I have not been able to locate this service at all in my services list, however this might be explained by that this service is named different in my Danish languaged XP. However, having scanned through all services, I cannot find anyone that comes near this name. If this service could be missing, how could I then add it to services?

I do not have access to other cards, but will try to see if I can borrow one this evening, and then I will come back with a reply to how this reacts.

Thanks for your help so far!

Reply to
mogens

mogens wrote: Snip...........................................

Can't help with the Danish.

formatting link
Rob

Reply to
Rob

There seem to another problem on the computer that I have not been aware of before. For the first time ever I tried to insert a PCMCIA card (Trendnet Wireless 125 Mbps 802.11g wireless PC card), and the computer didn't recognize it at all. Using the Install hardward wizard shows these two problems: !: Intel PCIC compatible PCMCIA-controller !?: Network controller

When connected to the internet via cable, and selecting these two drivers, the automatic installation fails. I assume that the network controller should have been part of the configuration when the notebook was delivered, so I need somehow to find a way to get the above two drivers to work. But a little lost on how to do this when the automatic configuration fails :-( The error was described as the wizard being unable to locate the correct software (choosing automatic installation).

Whether this problem has occurred in connection to the problem with the missing detection I don't know, neither if this problem was already there when I bought the notebook 10 months ago.

Any good ideas would be much appreciated!

Mogens

Reply to
mogens

Since you are using XP have you tried to "Restore" it to a point in time prior to you having a problem? On my XP home Laptop start>help and support then "undo changes to your computer with System Restore" in "Pick a Task"

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Thanks a million Rob! I was totally unaware of this function, but that did the trick. So now I can detect wifi's again :-))

Mogens

Reply to
mogens

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.