Solve VPN Problem - get gift from Denmark

Hi all you gurues;

We have a problem getting access to a VPN server (XPs build in simple VPN server) from a wireless hotspot.

A summay looks like this.

1. We are using XPs biuld in VPN client which use pptp.

1. I can login on the server from a fixed ADSL connecting.

2. From the hotspot the following conversion is seen

- Connecting to server - Checking username and password - After some time: Error 721 The server did not answer...

1. From a Ethereal dump I can see:

- The PC is talking to the server with pptp/ppp - A some point it starts o use a GRE tunnel - From that point is seems that the server cannot communicate with the PC anymore. The PC send several commands: LC Configuration request (7-8 times) to the server - but never get an answer and drops the connecting after a while.

1. We are doing a NAT actually PAT translation on a cisco router in the network and have an idea that this could be the problem, but we have set it up according to Ciscos recommendation for pptp.

Some lines from the router configuration:

access-list 103 deny udp any any eq 135

access-list 103 deny tcp any any eq 135

access-list 103 deny udp any any eq netbios-ss

access-list 103 deny tcp any any eq 139

access-list 103 deny udp any any eq 445

access-list 103 deny tcp any any eq 445

access-list 103 permit ip any any

access-list 103 permit gre any any

1. Have you seen anything linke this before? Or du you have something we have to look into?

1. If someone solves the problem he/she will get a special present from Denmark.

Greetings from Denmark

Lasse

Reply to
Lasse
Loading thread data ...

Where is the cisco in this setup, is it on the network where the router is, if so and adsl clients can connect then it's probably not related to the problem. Is the wireless hotspot under your control ?

Reply to
Simon

Hi Simon,

he setup is like this:

PC --->Wireless Network ----> Access Server ---> Cisco Router(doing NAT/PAT) ---> Internet ---> VPN Server

I have full control of the Wireless Network, Access Server and the Cisco Router.

Does that help?.

Lasse

"Sim>> Hi all you gurues;

Reply to
Lasse

Reply to
Simon

Hi,

We have done some investigation. It seems that a GRE packet is send from my PC. It comes to the Cisco router and is send PAT´et from that. But nothing of the GRE traffic comes back from the VPN server.

It could mean different:

1. The GRE packet reach the reach the VPN server but the server do not send anything back.

1. The packet reach the server and is send back to a wrong IP address because the PAT function on the Cisco router is not doing its function right.

2. The packet is routed wrong from the VPN server.

Does someone how the NAT/PAT works on a Cisco router (2600 seriers)?.

Which of 1-3 do you THINK is the cause of the malfunction?

Lasse

"Simon" skrev i en meddelelse news:ICiFh.23930$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
Lasse

Reply to
Simon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.