What is the logic in Skype contact list order?

Can someone explain the logic of the Skype contact list order?

I have Skype contact entries such as: pc Alex pc Barry pc Charles ... ph Amy ph Barbara ph Cindy

Where pc indicates a computer-to-computer connection and ph indicates a Skype-Out computer-to-telephone connection.

I would like the order in the contact list to be as shown above. But, for some strange reason, the Skype contact list order is all jumbled up. That is, it certainly isn't alphabetical.

What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order? How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should be)?

Thanks in advance, Cindy

Reply to
Jan Drew
Loading thread data ...

I always see contacts currently on line at the top. Maybe the order is how recently they were on line.

Reply to
thoss

Assuming that pc/ph is entered as the firstname and the name as lastname is it possible it's sorting by lastname then first name?

Reply to
Robert Gauld

Could well be that, combined with how recently people were on line. At present I have three contacts on line, sorted in surname order. Below that are two or three groups of names each also sorted in surname order.

Reply to
thoss

Jan Drew wrote in news:3ciow36kdv66.1xqivgh8a40rs$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

You will probably get more technical information if you ask at

formatting link

Reply to
SR

I can't tell what the contact list sort order is but it sure drives me crazy using the CIT200 Linksys Skype cordless telephone because it is so very difficult to scroll in that teeny tiny telephone screen.

I think my contact list order on the CIT200 seems to be those online first followed by my SkypeOut contacts followed by my offline contacts. This default contact list order makes no sense to me but that is what I think it is.

I did try to run the Skype "View | Sort Contacts by Name" option but that doesn't seem to change the order one bit in that teeny tiny Linksys CIT200 Skype telephone contact list screen.

If anyone knows how to change the contact list order on the Skype telephone, I'd be appreciative.

Sharon E.

Reply to
Sharon B.

And within those groups, how are the names ordered? In alphabetical order of the second word, i.e. surname?

Reply to
thoss

Sharon B. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

I don't know anything about the CIT200. Does it allow you to type names? For example, you would press 37 to show names beginning with "FR", like you can on a cell phone.

Reply to
SR

Hi Thoss, The groups in Skype seem to be ordered alphabetically, starting with:

- All Contacts

- American Contacts

- British Contacts

- Canadian Contacts etc.

Within any group, the order is apparently:

- Contacts which are online at the moment (sorted alphabetially by first letter)

- Contacts which are SkypeOut contacts (sorted by first letter)

- Contacts which are offline at the moment (sorted by first letter).

The fact this contact list moves around (depending on who is online or not) and the fact that the SkypeOut contacts are not next to their respective computer-to-computer contacts makes the whole contact list order confusing, at least to me.

I still haven't figured it out. And, to judge by the responses to this query, neither has anyone else.

Pity. Skype is so otherwise intuitive. Sharon

Reply to
Sharon B.

I just tried this on the Skype cordless telephone and it does not work. Pity. Unfortunately, I have to scroll through scores of contacts just to find the one I need. The contact list jumps from online contacts, alphabetical, to skypeout contacts, alphabetical, to offline contacts alphabetical.

I guess the logic is that offline contacts won't work so they put them on the bottom. But, if that logic were true (you can fake your online status), then why bother even listing offline contacts.

I guess the logic in putting online contacts first is that calls to them are always free whereas the SkypeOut equivalent contacts for the same individuals would not always be free.

So, I can understand the Skpe logic ... but I still would like a simple and pure alphabetical order.

Sharon

Reply to
Sharon B.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.