The Demise of Cheap VOIP

Sort of, but there are diminishing returns at play. The benefit accruing to the network effect from $10,000 spent on rural telephone deployment is quite tiny compared to that realized from the same expenditure in a civilized area.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz
Loading thread data ...

I did for a time. Now, I just escaped broad-band hell, after 10 years. The brand new subdivision had no infrastructure for anything more than POTS until about a year ago.

And there are no other options that wireline phones, with tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of cost per line, charged to ALL other subscribers?

Is 911 access now a 'mandatory human right'?

As Plato said, Democracy will turn into dictatorship, and will fail when people realize they can vote themselves money from the treasury.

Sorry, but 'easy communication' is not a basic human right. It's a luxury. The first amendment doesn't require the government to provide you with a printing press....or any other means of expressing yourself.

-Stephen

Reply to
Stephen M. Adams

Yeah, those "we will disconnect you if you don't pay" notices can be safely ignored, and you can continue to use your phone forever without paying. Not.

Even utilities like Gas and Electric can be disconnected for non-payment during the non-winter months in Illinois, and there is no law requiring them to be turned back on before winter starts.

Right. I was imagining things when my ISDN bill and POTS bill came together back in the old days. Why SBC offers combined billing for satellite, phone and mobile.

Uh huh.

-Stephen

Reply to
Stephen M. Adams

Stephen M. Adams wrote: ...

Only if you have a phone in the US. The law (state or federal?) mandates that the phone company supports 911 (and in some places e911) AND it says that the phone company can add an amount to support the expense.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

We're probably looking at differences in State laws. In Massachusetts the POTS phone cannot be discontinued for non-payment without a hearing. And if there are only people over 65 (I think) then the phone cannot be disconnected.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Slippery slope? You'd better believe it :-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

What's next? Cable TV? A computer? A car? We're talking slippery slope here...

-Stephen

Reply to
Stephen M. Adams

Rubbish. There is a world of difference between a utility that, among other things, provides the ability to summon help from the government agencies that virtually every citizen's tax dollars pay to maintain. Think fire, police, and medical. And let us be clear, we are NOT talking about providing these things "for free". We are talking about regulations that ensure that such things are provided to all customers at a reasonable rate; one that is nominally affordable for the consumer, and (at least) nominally profitable for the carrier.

Reply to
John Nelson

The user of the system does not bear even a remote resemblance of the actual cost of the system. There are alternatives for summoning aid to a copper-line telephone. Alternatives that are far cheaper than forcing the entire rate-base to pay tens of thousands of dollars PER line to wire remote communities.

And those regulations came about BEFORE 911.

-Stephen

Reply to
Stephen M. Adams

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.