Linksys WRT54GP2, does it do VPN passthrough?

I use a WRT54g and WMP54g card to VPN.

Note, please, that "VPN" is not necessarily "VoIP".

is defective in firmware and does not pass VPN data.

what to think.

time trying to get this to work so I am leaning towards

Reply to
Russ Smith
Loading thread data ...

I use a WRT54G at home to go outwards - the "other side" of the VPN is out in "the world". I am not trying to get INTO the 54g though that, too, is possible of course (just open the right ports and have the right software running internal to the WRT54G network).

I noted the VoIP/VPN distinction to lock in what I was typing about, BTW.

network. I am trying to initiate a VPN connection

sounds like your "VPN" is occuring entirely on the

feature advertised, which would not be used if your

VOIP hardware than a VOIP forum? Even if the

is defective in firmware and does not pass VPN

know what to think.

time trying to get this to work so I am leaning

Reply to
Russ Smith

The box says it does, but my experience and some web searches say the WRT54G is defective in firmware and does not pass VPN data. It is also said the "P2" model (Vonage VOIP) is different, so I don't know what to think.

Either the Linksys box doesn't work

--OR--

I have not configured things correctly, but I have spend a large amount of time trying to get this to work so I am leaning towards the Linksys box being crap.

Any tips or comments are appreciated! Thanks,

--Dan

Reply to
dg

Thanks for the input, however it sounds like you are already on a real private network. I am trying to initiate a VPN connection with a computer behind a WRT54GP2 router, from a computer across the city. It sounds like your "VPN" is occuring entirely on the internal side of the router. The problem seems to lie in the "passthrough" feature advertised, which would not be used if your "VPN" exists entirely on the internal side of the router.

Please note, this is a VOIP router, what better place to ask a question about VOIP hardware than a VOIP forum? Even if the question is about VPN function.

--Dan

Reply to
dg

Its SUPPOSED to be possible, but try finding somebody who has done it. Thats what I am trying to do. I have never seen 1 report of somebody successfully doing it, only complaints from people who say the firmware is flawed and doesn't allow it. I too connect to VPNs going outwards from my router, but not the other way around. The only people who have gotten it to work are using a hacked firmware, which I can't use.

I don't know if I should give up and buy another router or keep screwing with it. I need to know if its possible before wasting too much time.

Thanks,

-Dan

Reply to
dg

Quck google for found:

== "...One more potential "gotcha" is the ability of the == router to support VPN servers behind it. You'll of == course have to map the appropriate ports, or put == the VPN server in DMZ, but unless the router knows == how to handle the specially constructed VPN data == packets, your VPN clients won't be able to connect. == So if you need to have a VPN server behind your router, == make sure it supports PPTP or IPsec server pass-thru..."

--

formatting link
I have not checked my wrt54g docs/pages about this.

what I am trying to do. I have never seen 1 report

firmware is flawed and doesn't allow it. I too connect

people who have gotten it to work are using a

it. I need to know if its possible before wasting

Reply to
Russ Smith

Ahem - that SHOULD be:

"Quick google for 'vpn behind wrt54g'..."

Reply to
Russ Smith

I connect back into my PPTP server all the time, one behind a WRT54G and the other behind a BEF11WS4 (or somesuch model number, it's been a while)

Granted, it's just me VPN'ing back into a w2k box running RRAS. Were there some quantity of other people needing to get in simultaneously I'd upgrade to a more capable router. Most SoHo routers can't handle multiple simultaneous inbound VPN sessions.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.