Polycom V500 Image quality help neded

Hi

We have a pair of Polycom V500's running between Devon and London via our ADSL Broadband and the picture/sound quality varies between excellent to lousy, main problem is its lousy most of the time. Has anybody used the V500's in the UK with a ADSL broadband connection, and had a similar problem? if so how did you fix it? Given that the V500 is supposedly able to run on ISDN it should be fine on Broadband given that broadband uploads at 256 compared to 128 of ISDN

Any help gratefully appreciated

Nige

Reply to
Nigel Heald
Loading thread data ...

Nigel,

First, when they say it'll run on ISDN, normally they're talking about a 384k bonded ISDN connection. So the bandwidth you're using is actually less than normally used.

You have to also remember that your video connection takes the bandwidth you select plus 20%. Try using the 128 speed, and see if the H.264 video compression takes over and gives you a better quality.

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

Exactly - my experience showed me that selecting a lower BW usually yields *better* quality - compared to selecting a very high bandwidth, and wait until the auto-adaptive routines finally settle on a speed that actually works. I have a 512 Kb/s uplink, but usually this speed is not sustained, somewhere there is always a bottleneck. Fixing the speed to 256 or 312 gives instantanuous fair quality - and, as the other poster mentioned, the application might select H264 to boost quality.

FWIW, trials with e.g. Polycom PVX @ H264 @ 256Kb/s yield quite acceptable sustained full screen quality over the public IP network.

Reply to
René

There is a simple solution

formatting link
fast easy video conference for $15.00 a month.

Sincerely Neil L. Rideout Multicast Engineer Video Conferencing Consultant Inventor - Comcaster, P/See Suite, Sincewas, and Camtrek

formatting link
and most importantly
formatting link

Reply to
Camtrek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.