Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] Breaking Free of the Cellphone Carrier Conspiracy
Breaking Free of the Cellphone Carrier Conspiracy By DAVID POGUE April 3, 2013 Where, exactly, is your threshold for outrage? Would you speak up if you were overbilled for a meal? Would you complain...

Verizon FIOS (telecom) [telecom]
This was originally posted to in error, it was intended for cdt, so reposting to proper place with some followup added. During the recent FIOS discussion, I had nothing to add, so I didn't. Its been...

[telecom] Hurrahs and Harrumphs for T-Mobile
Hurrahs and Harrumphs for T-Mobile David Pogue April 4, 2013 In my Times column on Thursday, I cheered T-Mobile's bold decision to abandon the standard United States cellphone business model. There...

Apple iphone thefts [telecom]
Police in Lawrence, New Jersey, are warning the public to watch out for "apple-picking" thieves who snatch Apple iPhones from users' hands while they are using the pricey devices. full article at: NYC...

[telecom] Letters, E-Mail, Texts - What's Next?
Letters, E-Mail, Texts - What's Next? On Point with Tom Ashbrook April 3, 2013 Letters are dead. E-mail outdated. Text messages so passé. What's going on with how we communicate? Forever and ever, it...

Everything We Know About What Data Brokers Know About You [telecom]
Everything We Know About What Data Brokers Know About You by Lois Beckett ProPublica, March 7, 2013, 9:48 a.m. Data companies are scooping up enormous amounts of information about almost every...

[telecom] How the Maker of TurboTax Fought Free, Simple Tax Filing
How the Maker of TurboTax Fought Free, Simple Tax Filing By Liz Day ProPublica, March 26, 2013, 5 a.m. This story was co-produced with NPR. Imagine filing your income taxes in five minutes . and for...

Verizon Liable for .85 Billion in Debt, Trustee Says [telecom]
Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ), the second-biggest U.S. telephone company, was sued for $2.85 billion in debt and interest stemming from its relationship with bankrupt directory company Idearc. The...

Verizon pensioners granted class status in lawsuit [telecom]
NEW YORK (AP) . Retirees have gained class action status for a suit against Verizon Communications Inc. over the transfer of its pension obligations to Prudential Insurance. A federal judge in Dallas...

[telecom] The Touch-Screen Generation
The Touch-Screen Generation Young children-even toddlers-are spending more and more time with digital technology. What will it mean for their development? By Hanna Rosin The Atlantic MAR 20 2013 On a...

[telecom] How One Man Turned Himself Into a Publicly Owned Company
How One Man Turned Himself Into a Publicly Owned Company Mike Merrill puts the "I" in IPO. By Rob Walker The Atlantic MAR 20 2013 Mike Merrill was thinking of pumping up his workout regimen with...

[telecom] T-Mobile Unveils Aggressive Phone Pricing With No Contracts
T-Mobile Shakes Up Its Service By BRIAN X. CHEN March 26, 2013 T-Mobile USA, long trailing its rivals in the cellphone industry, is trying to catch up by changing the conversation: it is selling the...

[telecom] The Internet 'Narcissism Epidemic's
The Internet 'Narcissism Epidemic' Don't let popularity set your standard. By Bill Davidow The Atlantic MAR 26 2013 We are in the midst of a "narcissism epidemic," concluded psychologists Jean M....

[telecom] Luring Young Web Warriors Is Priority. It's Also a Game.
Luring Young Web Warriors Is Priority. It's Also a Game. By NICOLE PERLROTH March 24, 2013 WASHINGTON - In the eighth grade, Arlan Jaska figured out how to write a simple script that could switch his...

[telecom] Database Is Shut Down by NASA for a Review
Database Is Shut Down by NASA for a Review By MARK MAZZETTI March 22, 2013 WASHINGTON - NASA has shut down a large public database and is limiting access to agency facilities by foreign citizens as...