Waiting for Verizon.. [telecom]

For modern cellphone batteries i.e. if they're lithium ion or lithium polymer do not let the batteries get completely flat. You can pretty much charge them at will once you've initially "conditioned" them.

Do you arrange for people to call you at specific times so you never have your phone on unless someone specific is going to call you?

Reply to
Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

What is "conditioning"? When I first got the phone I fully charged the battery. Then I used it until it ran out. I hope that was conditioning. (Note--by "run out" I mean when the phone stopped working. I suspect the phone's circuitry turns off the phone before the battery is truly dead so as to keep some current for the phone's memory.)

I give out my work number* and home number. I only give out my cell phone number for special situations, such as waiting for a doctor's office to call or some other urgent business I don't want to miss, or when meeting friends somewhere and need to know if they'll be late. In those cases I turn on the cell phone to wait for the call.

Many times when I'm waiting for an important call on my cell phone the call comes through when I'm in the bathroom, or, while driving and about to merge into heavy traffic where I must give full attention to the road and can't answer the phone.

*I get very angry--and make sure the caller's boss knows it--if a bank's sales rep calls me at work to pitch me brokerage services or some such thing.
Reply to
Jeff

Not at all. Buy a terminal server.... Emulex and Lantronix ones can be had for ten or twenty bucks on Ebay. One end plugs into your Ethernet, the other end has a serial port. You telnet into the terminal server and you get a connection to the serial port plugged into the BBS.

I have one right now connecting a PDP-8e to the public internet. Works very well.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.