Verizon to add another surcharge on some bills [telecom]

While on-line with Verizon to pay [my] bill with a credit card, I saw a notice that there will soon be a $3.50 SURCHARGE for [using] a credit card to pay bills on [the] VZ site.

I find it strange that I can buy items on-line for 99¢, pay with Paypal, and pay PayPal using a credit card, without a surcharge, and now VZ wants a surcharge.

Also their DSL, formerly listed as "up to 3 MBps", now says "1.5-3 MBps".

For people with a low monthly cellular bill, this could be a hefty per centage of the bill.

Reply to
www.Queensbridge.us
Loading thread data ...

It looks like they are adding the fee to cover charges made by their bank or costs, which appears to me to be much lower then they are going to charge. I pay my AT&T, Sprint and a lot of other bills and have never been charged anything.

-- The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2010 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Reply to
Steven

Perhaps this is a result of the recent rules to protect credit card users, which for the first time allow vendors to charge reduced prices to cash customers.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

FALSE TO FACT. Historically credit-card _merchant_ contracts have forbidden charging a _higher_ price (i.e., a 'surcharge') for a customer who pays by credit card. *NOTHING* in either those merchant contracts, _nor_ 'in law' in general forbids giving a discount for paying cash. And some merchants have been _doing_ it for multiple decades.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

But, bringing this back to phone companies and similar utilities, typically one receives a bill for a set amount. They do not give a discount for paying by cash (or any other particular way). In the case of companies like telcos, I'm not sure the average customer (outside a big city) has any way to pay by cash anyhow, it would almost always be by check or ACH.

But there is often a higher price to pay (online) with a CC. It may be that just calling it a "convenience fee" (that phrase does sound familiar) instead of a "surcharge" is all it takes for them to get away with it, which would make such a contract clause not worth the paper it was written on.

And the end customer doesn't really have any standing to challenge it, since they're not a party to the contract between the CC company and the merchant. Not if the CC company doesn't care.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.