[telecom] Internet Voting in the U.S.

Internet Voting in the U.S.

By Barbara Simons, Douglas W. Jones Communications of the ACM, Vol. 55 No. 10, Pages 68-77

10.1145/2347736.2347754 October 2012

The assertion that Internet voting is the wave of the future has become commonplace. We frequently are asked, "If I can bank online, why can't I vote online?" The question assumes that online banking is safe and secure. However, banks routinely and quietly replenish funds lost to online fraud in order to maintain public confidence.

We are told Internet voting would help citizens living abroad or in the military who currently have difficulty voting. Recent federal legislation to improve the voting process for overseas citizens is a response to that problem. The legislation, which has eliminated most delays, requires states to provide downloadable blank ballots but does not require the insecure return of voted ballots.

Yet another claim is that email voting is safer than Web-based voting, but no email program in widespread use today provides direct support for encrypted email. As a result, attachments are generally sent in the clear, and email ballots are easy to intercept and inspect, violating voters' right to a secret ballot. Intercepted ballots may be modified or discarded without forwarding. Moreover, the ease with which a From header can be forged means it is relatively simple to produce large numbers of forged ballots. These special risks faced by email ballots are in addition to the general risks posed by all Internet-based voting schemes.17

Many advocates also maintain that Internet voting will increase voter participation, save money, and is safe. We find the safety argument surprising in light of frequent government warnings of cybersecurity threats and news of powerful government-developed viruses. We see little benefit in measures that might improve voter turnout while casting doubt on the integrity of the results.

Almost all the arguments on behalf of Internet voting ignore a critical risk Internet-based voting shares with all computerized voting-wholesale theft. In the days of hand-counted paper ballots, election theft was conducted at the retail level by operatives at polling places and local election offices. By contrast, introduction of computers into the voting process created the threat that elections can be stolen by inserting malware into code on large numbers of machines. The situation is even more dangerous with Internet voting, since both the central servers and the voters' computers are potentially under attack from everywhere.

Despite the serious threats it poses to election integrity, Internet voting is being used in several countries and U.S. states, and there is increasing public pressure to adopt it elsewhere. We examine some of these threats, in the hope of encouraging the technical community to oppose Internet voting unless and until the threats are eliminated

formatting link

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

When the authors say "no email program in widespread use today provides direct support for encrypted email", I think they're wrong. Thunderbird, just as one example, requires only an X.509 certificate to send encrypted email. Mutt, an email client popular on Unix and Linux systems, has PGP support built-in.

BTW, I oppose /any/ kind of "distance" voting when not absolutely necessary. If people can't be bothered going to the polls, then they don't deserve to cast a vote.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

According to this site:

formatting link
Thunderbird is not in the top 11 of mail clients; it's just mixed in the "Other" category that counts for 3% of all uses. So it's arguable whether it would count as widespread enough to be relevant for something like this.

How about this analogy:

"I oppose any kind of distance banking when not absolutely necessary. If people can't be bothered going to a bank branch, then they don't deserve access to their money."

I have no problem going to the polls myself; my polling place is only a couple of blocks from home, and there's never been a line of more than 2 people when I've gone. But I've heard of people waiting in long lines at the polls -- why should we have to do that if other technologies can make things more convenient?

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Outlook and Outlook Express support S/MIME, but I would estimate that

0.001% of users actually have a certificate configured, so in practice the other 99.999% don't do encrypted mail.
Reply to
John Levine

You're right, of course, but the authors of the ACM paper said that there's no "Direct support for encrypted email", and that's a different thing. I don't know if they were simply misinformed, or if they consider "direct support" to be something other than what is available, but I think the paper is inaccurate on this point.

Bill, who has to go choose between the Neanderthal and the Cro-Magnon candidates for office.

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.