[Telecom] Cellular as replacement for copper

Verizon says they won't re-build the copper plant in Mantoloking NJ

> after most of it was destroyed by Sandy. Instead they are providing > telephone service through their new service called Verizon Voice Link. > > Voice Link basically connects your home telephone service to Verizon > Wireless but it operates just like it was connected to the CO with a > copper line - same telephone number, 911, etc.. However, in the event of > a power failure, it does run on 3 AA batteries which last 36 hours. > That's a lot better than FiOS which only gives you about 6 hours. With > enough spare AA batteries, you could go for a while. > > More information in the 5/4 edition of the Asbury Park Press located at >
formatting link
>

I wonder if the quality of the voice calls will be anything near what we've had on POTS. We put up with extremely poor audio quality and latency for the convenience of mobility, but when at home, I still use POTS. Also, will a cellular based home phone offer "flat rate" unlimited local calling, as POTS does here for about $25 per month?

Cellular has largely been competing on price. I wonder if they could compete on audio quality (like Sprint's old "pin-drop" adds).

Harold

Reply to
Harold Hallikainen
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.