T-Mobile MMS spam deluge ... stemmed now? [telecom]

Beginning towards 1:30 pm EST on November 11, my T-Mobile cellular handset started receiving regular MMS spam: text messages touting organ-enhancement, pain-relief, e-d, and other "nutri-ceutical" products, as well as "reproduction" timepieces, jewelry, and fashion accessories; linking to web-sites in the *.ru TLD; and arriving spasmodically at an average rate of roughly one per hour until 9:55 pm EST on November 12.

Calls to T-Mobile CC revealed that CC was being swamped (half-hour hold times and longer) with customer inquiries. Even front-line agents were aware of the problem, and had already been authorized to assure anxious customers that T-Mobile would be voiding any standard tariff charges for these spam MMS messages. (My plan, for example, envisages 30 MMS messages per billing period, in and/or out, before per-message surcharges apply, and here I had an actual

31 spam MMSes arrive in just the 32-hour period indicated above!)

Higher tier agents sought to minimize the impact of the current deluge by reconfiguring users' email filter settings to block messages for whom the user was merely a "Bcc:" recipient, but ran smack into the wall, of T-Mobile's own erection, that the relevant T-Mobile EmailFilters.aspx Active Server database manipulation page has been throwing 500-style server errors -- despite the issuance of numerous Trouble Tickets, Helpdesk Tickets, and even Master Tickets -- since mid-summer 2009.

Fortunately, the T-Mobile Engineering crew seems to have stemmed the spam tide for now -- or else the Russian bot-masters behind it have just turned it off :-) .

Cheers from the T-Mo trenches, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.