Sophos Security's take on Google's latest "_nomap" opt-out offer [telecom]

"opt out" of having their wireless access point's SSIDs catalogued, indexed, and exploited by Google's location service by the simple expedient (?) of appending a "_nomap" to the SSID, i.e., recasting the SSID from to . For details and commentary, see the Sophos announcement

Cheers, -- tlvp

***** Moderator's Note *****

This submission arrived with a note attached, and I'm pasting some of it here FYI the readers.

My usual NNTP server acting flaky this evening, I thought I'd write directly to you with the following little tidbit...

ALL submissions to the Telecom Digest have an EQUAL chance of being seen and/or published. It does _NOT_ matter _how_ you send them in, neither figuratively nor literally. Everything arrives in the same mailbox, because that's the way Usenet handles posts that need approval - they are *emailed* to me!

If you deem it post-worthy, I'll be grateful to see it posted. If not, who am I to argue :-) ?

You are a contributor, and you can _always_ ask me to reconsider a moderation decision. That doesn't mean I always will, of course, but you're entitled to ask. See the FAQ.

-- Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
tlvp
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.