Re: Who Owns the Music?

The recent discussions about Sony led to some interesting discussions

> among my colleagues about the used CD market: > - if I buy a new CD, I am presumably entitled to record it for local > (computer/IPOD/backup/whatever) use.

Your "right" to do that is actually _very_ limited. Not as limited as the record companies would _like_ you to believe, but very limited nonetheless.

If I do that, am I (legally or otherwise) prohibited from reselling > or giving away the CD? There is a huge used CD market out > there. And my kids keep taking my Frank Sinatra and Pink Floyd CDs.

You are not prohibited from "reselling or giving away", the CD, but,_IF_ _YOU_DO_THAT_, then any copies of that music that remain in your possession are *illegal* copies, and you are subject to copyright infringement action for the possession thereof.

- if I resell or give away the CD, what about the next buyer/owner -- > is he or she entitled to record it, as above, and then pass it on to > the next user?
*WHILE* and _only_ while they are in possession of the CD, they can make limited copies for *limited* reasons allowed by copyright statute.
- if I made a recording of the originally purchased CD, may I bequeath > that to the above mentioned kids?

The limited rights you have are 'indivisible' from the physical product you purchased. Anything derived from that product must go _with_ that product.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.