Re: Three Texas Men ... on Terrorist Charges

> Where will it end?

>> The US seems well on the way to the old Czarist model, where >> _everything_ was _forbidden_ unless explicitly allowed by the >> authorities. > Prior to 1960 or so, you could buy an amazing collection of things > from the drug store. Somewhere I have a book from the 50s on the hobby > of rocket design. It contains some interesting mixes for fueling > rockets. And this was not Estes, this was the real McCoy. And if you > paid attention in high school chemistry and did a little > experimenting, you could make some really big bangs. Pipe bombs were > easy. Then (and I don't know all the reasons for sure) with the > radical bombings and such plus a general "is this really a smart > things to be selling" they gradually withdrew such things. Plus some > laws were passed. > Now buying saltpeter, magnesium, mercury, etc ... it a wee bit harder. > Where should we set the limits?

(snip)

I remember those days. You could even buy nitric and sulfuric acid at the drugstore and nearly anything else you wanted from mail order chemical companies. Those days are gone along with chemistry sets.

What really disturbs me is the removal of some very useful things from the market because of the litigious society we live in. Today I can not even buy a torsion spring for my garage door as the lawyers have made the liability risk for the seller just too great.

David

Reply to
David
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.