Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

No, they have a policy these days, in summary, the word 'spam' has

> been added to the English vocabulary, while 'Spam' is still a > registered trademark, and is to be used only in reference to their > (Hormel AFAIK) product. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: All well and good, but how does one > pronounce an upper case /S/ differently than a lower case /s/ in order > to avoid violating any trademarks? ...

The "Columbia Journalism Review", a magazine for reporters, often has ads by corporations reminding people about using trademarks as everyday words. I guess the most common example today is using "Xerox" as a verb ("go xerox this letter") or a noun ("I'll send you a xerox of the letter"). It is a trademark and is properly used to describe a particular brand of copier machine or the company that makes them: ("I'll run them off on our Xerox machine").

Another example is Lycra, which is a brand time of spandex -- spandex is the generic term for that type of fabric.

An old time example is Jello, which is a brand name for gelatin. Another is Band-Aid. Another is Kleenex.

Years ago I heard people refer to phonographs as "Victrolas", which were a particular brand.

Many companies don't want their trademark names to become commonplace. They spend a lot of money promoting their particular brand.

In that sense, I can understand Xerox's position since the company isn't doing so well and so many other brands of machines are in use.

As to various fuels, during the last energy price spike a lot of people bought kerosene heaters for their home. I never heard of anyone using a gasoline heater, though another poster described gasoline as a better fuel for that purpose. I guess gasoline is considered too dangerous, I don't think one is even allowed to store it inside a building. They expect high fuel costs this winter and I wonder if the stoves will make a comeback. I hope not, they were smelly in apartment buildings.

But as to lighting, it was kerosene for lighting that made the Rockefeller oil fortune. Kerosene replaced whale oil and was a lot cheaper (plus whales were becomming extinct from aggressive hunting). Gasoline was mostly discarded until the auto came out.

Coal stoves also made a comeback to save money. My mother told me coal was a horrible way to heat because it was very dirty and labor intensive. Her family was able to switch to oil during the 1940s and she said it was a world of improvement. When coal stoves reappeared she thought people were crazy.

BTW, gas lines in cities were originally used for lighting. Cities had factories that manufactured the gas from coal by a rather complex process. In the 1960s they converted to natural gas which became available by pipelines. The gas works came around and converted every gas appliance in the house for natural gas. We had gas cooking, clothes dryer, heat, and hot water. For a while the gas works was pushing gas air conditioning, but that never caught on. I grew up with gas, but my apt now is all electric and frankly I don't miss gas; I was always nervous about a leak.

In Walter Cronkite's memoirs, he described a story he covered early in his career -- a horrible gas accident in a school that used leftover gas from nearby oil wells. Apparently the system wasn't too controlled.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.