Re: Telephone Exchange Usage in Low-Volume States

1) Traditional party line service, since it's not worth the cost to

> upgrade lines out to people's farms?

I am of the belief that anyone who wants a private line these days can get one. It used to be that if you could get a private line at all you could only be a relatively short distance from the CO not to incur a "mileage" charge if you wanted anything other than 8-party service. I believe you can still get two-party service in some areas at a reduced per month rate, but I believe private line service is pretty much available in all but the most remote areas now.

2) Five digit dialing in some areas not well populated or served by > community dial offices?

I'd say off the top of my head probably not. When CDO's were all step-by-step offices dialing patterns as little as three digits were available determined by the number of subscribers and optionally could be dialed with all seven numbers with the first few digits "absorbed" for local callers. When ESS came into being that all ended.

Reply to
Joseph
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.