Re: [telecom] Chips in official IDs raise privacy fears [Telecom]

I had my Credit Union deactivate the chip in my card and opted out

> of another one. A few years ago Mobil Oil had chip key chains and > one day I noticed credit card charges in a bunch of cities all over > the country at the same time. When I found out what it was I > smashed that key chain into a million little peaces and joined a > suit against them, but that suit went nowhere.

This sounds like the things that Chase and Citibank (For Phillisp-Conoco credit cards) have added to their cards where you just wave them at the receiver. I think Mobil and now Exxon still have theirs, too.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

My bank hasn't yet gone the RFID route but they will. I do note my old bank now has RFID in their debit cards.

Reply to
T

That is what they are, Mobil has had them for some time, at least 10 years. As I posted earlier store products are tagged with simple ones, not like the older tags which worked like magnets. The tag that was on my shoe had the size, color and price along with which store it came from. Mine was bought at Kmart but set off alarms at Walmart stores until is was deactivated.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Interesting on the price. Having worked in retail at one point there were always price changes going on.

Or instead of a price, maybe it is a price code. That way you can just change it at the back end POS system.

Reply to
T

It could have just been a code, all I know is when he brought it up on his system that is what came up, also remember this was Walmart and the shoes were purchased at Kmart 6 months earlier, also the brand name on them were a Kmart brand. It has not happened since on anything, but then I know make sure the take ins deactivated, the shoes one was in bedded in the heal, most tags are placed on an item and removed.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Many are as you say, others are embedded in the product or its packaging.

Hardcover books often have an ID tag shoved between spine and spine-cloth; blister-packed SD cards, etc., often have an ID tag on the package insert.

These need to be deactivated at the checkout counter, rather than removed.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.