Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying

By Jo Best

> Story last modified Tue Feb 01 12:18:00 PST 2005 > A supermarket has given its customers the choice of paying by > fingerprint at a store in the state of Washington -- and has found them > surprisingly willing to use the biometric system. >
formatting link
> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not understand one thing: If > people have already been verified as to their ability and > willingness to pay for their groceries through their credit card > and their personal identification has been verified in much the same > way by the credit card people, then *why* would people want to go one > step further by enrolling in 'Pay by Touch'? Is this intended as one > way to 'save them time' by not having to sign a credit card slip? In > other words, touch your thumb or finger somewhere rather than taking > a couple seconds to sign a slip of paper? Now, if the grocery people > had set up their own credit system *in place of Visa/MC* by using a > thumb/finger print, I can see where that might be useful, but > otherwise, why bother? PAT]

You could give your kids access to your account so they can buy groceries for you, but you'd have to hope they don't load up on candy and soda :-)

On the other hand, its possible to fake fingerprints. Fortunately, the only files of fingerprints I know of are kept by law enforcement agencies, and we can certainly trust them not to commit this type of fraud.

(I'll leave a lot of room for Pat's response.)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have nothing more to say on this topic. PAT]
Reply to
Hank Karl
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.