Re; Payphones [Telecom]

Lisa Hancock replied:

As I understand it, pay phones are deregulated. Thus, I know of no > way a govt could force a carrier to provide pay phone service. > However, if the govt was willing to pay enough $$$, I'm sure something > could be worked out.

There were two stages of payphone deregulation.

The first was with Divestiture, which was announced by AT&T in Jan.1982, to become effective with Jan.1984. A provision of the MFJ or whatever opened the door for private "COCOT" payphones. State regulatory agencies would still regulate *TELCO* owned public phones, but they now had to

*allow* some form of competition from private payphones, under tariffs or at least some form of loose "guidelines".

And then twelve years later, with the 1996 "Telecom Bill", even telco- owned payphones were now fully deregulated. The Feds said that State regulatory agencies could no longer even regulate the rates or terms that telco (ILEC) payphones would comply with in that state. Many independent telcos, but even at least one BOC, BellSouth, began to completely change the interface of their telco-owned payphones w/r/t the rest of the telephone network. While the payphones were still telco-owned, they were now interfaced with the central office (and subsequently would appear at a LEC TOPS or AT&T OSPS Operator console) as if it were a "COCOT". The central office switch no longer directly handled coin-disposition. The LEC TOPS or AT&T OSPS no longer had "ACTS" over the "COCOT-ized" telco-owned payphone (Automated Coin Telephone Service).

However, there *WAS* a provision in the 1996 "Telecom Bill" that allowed for "public need" payphones and locations, such as rest stops, lonely stretches of highway, transit stations, public libraries, and so forth. If Telco wanted to remove payphone service from such a location, they could NOT just unilateally remove that phone. They had to have some kind of notification process or whatever, since it would have usually been on "government/public property".

IANAL, and I don't know if the local or state (or federal) government agency in charge of that highway, rest stop, transit facility, government building, etc. could have "forced" telco to retain the payphone at that location or not -- all I know is that with 1996's changes to 1984, there was some kind of a provision for "public need and necessity" payphone locations if telco wanted to completely remove the payphone at that location. And even with 1996, Bell or the incumbent independent is still considered a "default provider/carrier of last resort" if the private competitive "marktplace" fails to properly provide. However, many incumbent LECs, both Bell and independent, have completely WITHDRAWN from the payphone business, so if there *IS* some kind of power a local or state (or federal) govrnment body has regarding "public need/necessity" payphone locations, what COULD be done (if anything could be legally done anyways), IF that incumbent telco is no longer providing payphone service whatsoever!

Of course, governments can always do whatever they want, depsite things like "that constitution" notwithstanding! And the goverment doesn't need "dollars" to do it -- only some kind of show of force!

- Anthony Bellanga

Reply to
Anthony Bellanga
Loading thread data ...

The situation I'm curious about is on the New Jersey Transit River Line, a trolley between Camden and Trenton. This is a new line, just opened a few years ago. Every station has a pay phone on the platform.

Now years ago most train stations would have a pay phone and a great many still do, but that was then. I strongly doubt Verizon would jump at the chance to put in payphones on the River Line. Note that this is a relatively light duty line; other NJT rail lines generally carry more passengers per station which would result in greater use of the phones and often have several pay phones per platform.

[Presumably the pay phones are there to serve as emergency 911 phones. What annoys me is there are no signs pointing to them "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY USE PAY PHONE TO CALL 911, NO COIN NEEDED", and only tiny print on the pay phone about 911.]
Reply to
hancock4

P.S.

The film "North by Northwest" will by on TCM (Turner Classic Movies cable) on Saturday, 2/23/08, at 1:30 pm. (See

formatting link
I mention this because certain scenes of the film show a bank of pay phones that characters are using in a train station that is part of the drama of the movie. These are the wooden door with stool model; if there's even a pay phone around, it won't be in an enclosed booth, let alone with a stool and table and light and fan that they had back then. Today what pay phones there are are plain wall mounted in very noisy locations.

The telephone is extensively used in this movie. Historians will see many differences between then and now. One example is flashing the operator by jiggling the switchhook, that doesn't work anymore (and the in movies they always jiggled it too fast for the operator to notice the blinking; Bell said twice per second.)

There's also an excellent scene of dining on the Twentieth Century Limited train as it goes up the Hudson. (I've done that and it's a wonderful experience.)

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.