Re: Payphone Surcharges (was: Unanswered Cellphones)

DevilsPGD wrote:

>> Unless the owner of the payphone is threatening or inflicting harm >> upon you causing you to make a call, no extortion has been committed. > In terms of the letter of the law you are correct. But when someone > is in a captive situation, such as being in a hospital and needing to > call family (either as a patient or visitor) the person has no > choices. In other words, when I had to take my mother to the > emergency room, I had to notify both my employer and my sister of the > situation.

It wasn't the owner of the payphone who forced you to make those notifications, right? Whoever forced you to call your employer and your sister is the one who extorted you.

I was using a calling card and the pay phone used the long distance > carrier I used. But I didn't know I _still_ had to dial a special 800 > number.

So the problem was your own ignorance.

After complaining, they took off the $25/minute charges. That's > fraud and deceptive business practice.

Taking off the charge is fraud?

(BTW, there were no directions on my calling card number -- which > was merely my phone number with a PIN and I've had it for many > years.)

Are you sure you never got directions with it? Can you prove that?

Do you think a supermarket could get away with advertising a big > special but charging you outrageous prices because you didn't dial an > 800 number first?

They could get away with advertising Joe's Brand Spaghetti at $0.10/lb and charging you $4.95/lb for Mike's Brand Spaghetti.

> Making a payphone call is not a right. Your "need" to make a call >> does not give you the right to do so at a rate of your choosing. > Interesting how you put it. Let's be clear about something. Until > divesture, making a phone call was indeed a right under the philosophy > of universal telephone service.

It was a _goal_, not a _right_. And even then, payphones weren't part of it.

Seth

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: It is impossible to prove something did _not_ happen. PAT]
Reply to
Seth Breidbart
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.