Re: Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?

In reading a book about the Key System railway, older schedules had a

> six-digit phone number (2L-4N) while newer ones had seven-digits > (2L-5N). > Would anyone know when Oakland converted? > Also, was six digit dialing (2L-4N) common in a lot of places? I > though most city dial offices were 5 digit for smaller cities and 7 > digit (3L-4N) for larger cities. The seven digits were used as part > of the panel installation for cities expecting growth and to provide > for automatic integrated dialing to/from suburban areas as well.

I used to ride the Key System railway. I remember when the SF Bay Bridge ran the trains and trucks on the bottom level and cars on the top level. At that time, I lived in Kensington. My home phone number was LAndscape 6-5520. My father's work number in Berkeley was LAndscape

4-1757. So, in the mid-1950s, I think the SF bay area was pretty much all 7 digit.

Harold

Reply to
harold
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.