Re: NYC 1975 CO Fire -- Supposed it Happened Today?

In Feb 1975 there was a very bad fire in a big Central Office building

> in New York City. Twelve local exchanges and numerous tandem switches > were knocked out. > The Bell System mobilized and worked around the clock to get service > restored. Some burnt panel switchgear was removed and replaced with > new ESS switches airlifted in. Other gear was cleaned one contact at > a time with Q-Tips. Some calls were rerouted to other offices. > Service was restored quickly and known as the "Miracle on Second > Avenue". > I wonder: Suppose a fire like that happened today: Would it take > longer or shorter to restore service in today's world?

I think the most prominent recent comparable telecom disaster in the US also occurred in Manhattan, but is perhaps overlooked because it was just a small part of a much larger disaster. I'm referring to the Verizon facilities damaged during the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. See:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
some reflections on how Verizon recovered from the loss of a switching office that served hundreds of thousands of voice lines and millions of data circuits.

Bob Goudreau

Cary, NC

Reply to
Bob Goudreau <BobGoudreau
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.