re: nano cell site [telecom]

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:03:50 -0800 (PST)

>From: " snipped-for-privacy@hallikainen.com" >To: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.telecom.csail.mit.edu >Subject: nano cell site > >VERIZON OFFERS $250 IN-HOME CELL PHONE BOOSTER >[SOURCE: Associated Press, AUTHOR: Peter Svensson] >Verizon Wireless has started selling a book-sized device that boosts >cell phone signals within a home for $250, making it easier for people >to drop a home phone line and rely solely on wireless. The Verizon >Wireless Network Extender needs to be connected to a broadband >Internet line. Then it acts a miniature cellular tower, listening for >signals from a subscriber's cell phone. It covers up to 5,000 square >feet.

This is somewhat comparable to an offering from T-Mobile which uses a dual-mode handset which shifts from a conventional cellular signal to VoIP via WiFi.

T-Mobile has set up WiFi hot spots in places like coffee shops which recognize the T-Mobile handset and provide service. T-Mobile also provides a WiFi box to attached to the customers' home broadband connection which makes the customers' home into a VoIP WiFi hot spot and allows the customer to use his or her T-mobile handset as a primary telephone when at home.

The Verizon technology appears to create an actual cellular node covering about 5000 square feet and therefore does not require a special dual-mode handset.

Reply to
Will Roberts
Loading thread data ...

So in fact the devices do nothing to "boost" the existing network signals, but in fact *create* new localised network cells that interface into the network via a IP connection.

Aren't there licencing issues re using spectrum already owned for use with these existing networks?

Reply to
David Clayton

That's why (at least in the U.S.) you have to get them through the licensee (in this case, Verizon). Many office buildings have similar systems on a larger scale; the building I work in has three cells, providing coverage for AT&T (traditional "A-side cellular" license) GSM and Sprint/Nextel iDEN; the same system also carries Verizon (traditional "B-side cellular" license) CDMA via a simple repeater. I know one of the PCS carriers is on it as well, but don't recall which one (probably T-Mobile, since that's also a GSM service).

Sprint/Nextel, for what it's worth, is *still* working on the broadcast auxiliary equipment replacement that they agreed to do several years ago in exchange for the old broadcast-auxiliary spectrum (which is close to the two-way frequencies they already use); I saw a tower crew replacing old ENG antennas for a local TV station yesterday. (At the next site down the road, I saw a different tower crew working to install the transmission system for Qualcomm's MediaFlo, to have it ready to launch in Boston as soon as WLVI-TV shuts off its analogue transmitter on February 17.)

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

........ So what happens if you get one of these micro-cell units, and then your next door neighbour gets one and there is a frequency clash?

My understanding of cellular wireless involves careful engineering of antenna footprints and avoiding overlapping spectrum use, I'm trying to figure out how allowing consumers to install this themselves will work in the long-term.

It's bad enough now with 802.11 stuff becoming so popular that you have to juggle the transmit band to get it to work sometimes, most tolerate that because it is unlicensed spectrum, but with supposedly controlled spectrum.......

Reply to
David Clayton

yep..

So you:

a) Pay Verizon to fix their network.

b) Pay again, for the backhaul bandwidth to get your calls, {and those of anyone else in range} to their MTSO.

c) Pay a third time, to USE it. [Your minutes still cost the same..]

Can you hear me now?

Reply to
David Lesher

Also, just wondering about a couple of points that aren't clear from the publicity:

a: if you put these up in, say, your coffeeshop that normally is in "fringe" area, will it let your customers route through it? (And similarly, if you've got one at home will your neighbor cut in on you?)

b: if you happen to bring one of these outside the USofA, will that let your Islamabad family make calls "from" the United States?

c: and.. what about calls to "911"?

Reply to
danny burstein

No, because the devices are owned and operated by the cell phone companies who hold those licenses.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yes, yes, and yes. Lots of people can use it at the same time, no problem.

No, the device talks to your phone and it also talks to a local cell tower. It acts effectively as a repeater. If you have one that is owned and programmed by Verizon to talk to a Verizon tower and you take it to Islamabad where there is no Verizon tower for it to talk to... at best it will do nothing, at worst it will interfere with legitimate users of the band and draw the wrath of the Pakistani FCC.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The first posting in this thread stated. " The Verizon Wireless Network Extender needs to be connected to a broadband Internet line."

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

Why would it need to talk to any local wireless towers?

I thought the point was to fill in the gaps where there was no coverage?

Reply to
David Clayton

Are you sure? Previous discussions have said that it uses your broadband connection for backhaul.

In any event, I could imagine that one of these might kind of work outside the US, the same way my wired VoIP phone works in the UK, but since the bands that VZ uses are used for other stuff outside of North America, I expect the local authorities would not be amused.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

There are two types of devices. One is a true repeater, where you install an antenna on a roof or tower to pick up the cell signal, then rebroadcast it on another antenna inside the building. These work for any cell company and any number of users.

The devices being discussed are femtocells. These are restricted to a specific company, plug into a broadband connection and act as mini cell towers. The communicate back to the cell network over your broadband connection, not through the cell company air network.

AIUI, the femtocells allow you to restrict the number of users by specific phone. At least one model restricts originating calls to within 15' of the femtocell. Whether you can leave them open to all phones, I don't know. They also have a GPS receiver embedded that prevents them from being used outside the US.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.