Re: More 'Tweens' Going Mobile; Long-Term Health Risks Unclear

By Associated Press | March 21, 2005

> CHICAGO -- There were two things 11-year-old Patty Wiegner really, > really, really wanted for Christmas. One was a furry, playful dog > that's now filling her parents' home with the sound of barking. The > other gift makes a different kind of noise -- it has a ring tone that > mimics rapper 50 Cent's hit song 'Candy Shop.'

I'm not sure what I'd be more c> M>> By Associated Press | March 21, 2005

> CHICAGO -- There were two things 11-year-old Patty Wiegner really, >> really, really wanted for Christmas. One was a furry, playful dog >> that's now filling her parents' home with the sound of barking. The >> other gift makes a different kind of noise -- it has a ring tone that >> mimics rapper 50 Cent's hit song 'Candy Shop.' > My initial knee-jerk reaction would be to object to kids having cell > phones. But then I remember my teenage days and it seemed the phone > was attached to my ear. And in my parents' day, the phones in the > corner candy stores were quite busy. > However, this was when I was in high school, not elementary school. > I'm not so thrilled about the idea of "tweens" or younger kids having > cell phones. (A friend gave his 9-year-old one last Christmas.) > Of course, these days kids are far more isolated than we were. We > were in the city or more built-up suburbs where there were plenty of > friends within walking distance. Today kids have to be driven to > practically any kind of activity otherwise they're isolated. (Also > parents want more control over their kids than ours did.)

That is what we get for fleeing the urban core cities. The costs of that are coming back in spades.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There are lots of things wrong with the urban core, inner city. I am sorry you feel that those of us who wanted something better in life did what you call 'fleeing'. I know you would _never_ get me back to Chicago for example. PAT]
Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.