Re: HTML newsletter (was Re: Telecom Update #561 (Cana

OUR NEW LOOK: Beginning with this issue, the e-mail edition of

> Telecom Update will be published in HTML instead of plain text. We > will fine-tune the design over the next few weeks, to make > Canada's most-widely-read telecom publication even more readable > and usable. We welcome your comments and suggestions: please > email them to snipped-for-privacy@angustel.ca. > Big mistake. HTML email is a primary vehicle for spam and phishing. > Some organizations are going as far as banning HTML email. > I for one will never subscribe to a newsletter which does not provide > a text-only option. > John Meissen snipped-for-privacy@aracnet.com > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Nor will I, and I have suggested to Ian > Angus that this may be a mistake by their company. PAT]

I'm really at a loss why people think that "dressing up" a piece of information makes the information better or more valuable.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There are some advantages to 'dressing up' the information. For example, having the ability to change type faces and fonts as desired within the text. Also, being able to add links to supplemental information where applicable. Like Ian Angus, I have thought about converting TELECOM Digest to an 'all-html' style publication, but upon further reflection have decided the potential troubles with same would outweigh the good points. Unlike Ian Angus, my decision several years ago was to primarily concentrate on text and build my html output around that, but maintaining the 'text only' version as well. If you chose to look at
formatting link
for example, in many ways it winds up looking 'better' than this text edition, particularly if you see how the supplementary links are woven right in with the text itself. And, there is a more pleasant background to the pages, IMO. If you look at
formatting link
think you will be able to see that the 'original build' was text rather than html, which is how I like it. PAT]
Reply to
Mr Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.