Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S

> But cell phones are a curse to some degree. A local University that

>> shall remain nameless instituted a no cell phone policy for students. >> That quickly went downhill when professors cell phones would ring during >> class time, etc. > That's nothing. Trevecca Nazarene University in Nashville, Tennessee > has an interesting policy to allow interconnect to the campus network. > When my first niece went off to school, several family members gave me > money to purchase the parts needed for me to put a nice computer > together for her to take off to school with her. In addition to a > number of other pieces of hardware, I put a dial up modem and a NIC > card in it. It was a fairly common one (in fact my PC has the same > model in it). > When she got there, she called me and said that the folks at TNU said > her NIC card was no good and they wanted to charge her ninety dollars to > install a 3Com card in it. > I didn't believe it was defective and told her not to pay them to > install that card. After a couple of days, she called me again and > told me that they wouldn't hook her up until a 3Com card was > installed. > I called the I.T. department at TNU and asked what was going on. I > was told that the school policy said that only 3Com NIC cards could be > used to connect to the campus network. Needless to say I was a little > upset that they were going to make me drop another ninety dollars into > that computer. > But, I wasn't going to let them get the money. I called around and > found a deal on a 3Com card and had them ship it to her at school. > Fortunately, she had a classmate that was a Saturday afternoon PC > tech. He installed it for her and got her connected to the network. > I spoke to the dean at the school where I was taking computer > networking classes. He told me that while this was completely > unorthodox, that TNU was far from being the only school doing > something so ridiculous. His own daughter went to a school that > required a specific brand (and I don't remember what he said it was > except that it wasn't a 3Com card). She had to fork out fifty dollars > for the card and sold it to another student when she graduated. > > I wish someone in a position to do so would blow the whistle on this > practice of soaking the students for the money for these cards. It's > unethical at best. > Fred > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Other than the fact that she apparently > was not able to hook herself up to the network, I wonder how the > school would know what was or wasn't there. In other words, if she now > were to open the computer and install the original card in there > instead, how would the school ever find out, or do they search dorm > rooms looking for contraband hardware, etc? PAT]

MAC addresses contain a manufacturers code that takes up the first couple of bytes. It would be fairly trivial to set a router up to refuse any MAC not containing said bytes. But then, it would be just as trivial to reprogram a MAC on a NIC to look like a 3Com even though it's a $10 D-Link.

Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.