Re: Caution: Unidentified Callers Ahead

>> I suspect from the way current VoIP calls are structured that it would be

>> (a) very easy to spoof the number, >> (b) impossible to enforce upon overseas numbers and >> (c) too easy to make the number unavailable in the first place. Heck, >> even the doctor's office number is "unavailble". > This is all false. Why do we have this same discussion over and over > again every few months?

Well, you don't say where you think you got your information. I got mine from the United States Postal Inspectors as far as #1 goes. #2 is only partially true, I admit: in some cases the inspectors are able to extradite the perps, e.g. from Canada. #3 is my personal observation. So I conclude that your knowledge of the above is faulty and your statement doubious.

I do, however, agree with the following ...

Networks should not mark calling party identification received from > customers as "network provided" in the resulting ISUP Initial Address > Message. In cases in which the customer-provided number cannot be > directly verified to be billed to the party originating the call, it > should be *replaced* in the IAM with the Billing Telephone Number for > the originating party, which is a _required_ component of the IAM. > The FCC could require this at the drop of a hat, and it could be > complied with -- imperfectly at first, much better very quickly -- > with the flick of a switch.

You exagerate: it would require some 30 small steps to comply AND it would cost $.

Network operators should be required to disconnect customers who feed > bogus customer-provided numbers. Certainly any network providing > customer-provided numbers and claiming them to be network-provided > should be disconnected by all of their peers.

With voice over IP there is no "connection" in the classic sense; therefore it is very difficult to determine if a number is a relay or not, i.e. if it is "bogus".

Thor Lancelot Simon snipped-for-privacy@rek.tjls.com > "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral > aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart

I expect you to live up to your byline ;-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.