Re: Bell Usage of IBM Computers For Switching

In reading histories of IBM and the Bell System, my impression is that

> the companies were pretty distant from each other even though both > were developing very similar technologies. Early on, both Bell and > IBM were developing ever better ways of using relays to "think" in > sophisticated ways, then using electronic components. (IBM obviously > did go to Bell Labs to learn about the transistor). > While Bell used IBM machines in commercial (billing/ accounting) > applications, even there Univac and other makes were used too. In the > labs, it seemed mostly PDP computers were preferred. > Anyway, the Bell Labs history says Bell did make use of the IBM > System/7 as part of the switching network. The S/7 was a process > controller machine, kind of a sideline of IBM's normal business line. > Anyway, Bell used the S/7 to replace AMA (long distance message > accounting) machines. Even here the S/7 was eventually replaced with > a PDP machine.

From what I'm to gather the phone switches themselves had their own processors.

But I have seen references to DEC PDP series computers being used to write the code, etc. for the switches.

As to processor requirements, I don't know but in the case of a switch the more critical component is the t/d matrix. All the computer does is keep track of call store which is nothing but a table.

Put it this way, I used to have a Definity G3iV2 switch (pbx actually!) with 300 extensions, and 35 trunk loops. It had an Intel

486 CPU on it.
Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.